1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO Closed Captioning on many new HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Capmeister, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I am distressed to learn this:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=104546

It was brought to my attention that Dish Network has working closed captioning on some HD channels which DirecTV does not. This is BAD. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I thought--wrongly--that the lack of CC on those channels was the fault of the networks not supplying a CC stream. They obviously are, but DirecTV isn't passing it.

I know DirecTV folks monitor these forums, and so I want them to be sure to see my frustration. :(

2. measel

measel New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Seconded that! I'm deaf and has HR20. CC is a necessary for me. This pisses me off that Directv wouldn't make CC available for some channels especially my local HDs! :nono2:

3. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I am definately with you on these Issues. While I'm not in need of CC, I believe it is something that needs to be worked on sooner rather than later. I realize there is more on DIRECTV's plate at this time but sometimes it just feels as if this is WAY on the bottom of their list.

:welcome_s to the Forums measel. Hope you will help with the CC Issues as Capmeister is an excellent leader in the CC charge - he can always use excellent support!

4. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I'm with you. I actually complained to one of the channels, and got the reply that they are providing the CC, and said DirecTV is messing it up. Other channels I understand do not yet have their CC operational for all programming. Either way, the most frustrating is when the SD equivalent has perfect captioning, and the HD equivalent is either missing altogether, or garbled.

5. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Measel has already been helping via PMs. He's alerted me to this issue, and to his own local channel CC issues.

6. measel

measel New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks guys. I have been visiting this forum for almost a year now and CC issue needed more support so here I am!

:)

7. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Bumping this up--has anyone seen if the new HD channels have closed captioning working? I saw that FoxBusinessNews does...but why can't we have it on A&E and HistoryHD??!?!

8. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Mods, can this be moved to DirecTV Programming and Services forum? This isn't a receiver issue.

9. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    No closed captioning on HGTV-HD.
    :(

The other NEW channels, added today, seem to have it.

Still no CC on A&EHD, HistoryHD, TBSHD, and NationalGeographicHD. These channels have CC on Dish Network.

DO SOMETHING, DIRECTV!!! PLEASE!

10. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    +1

11. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Come on DIRECTV, please get the CC feeds in!

- Craig

12. measel

measel New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Same here, Directv. Come on. Get off your arses and turn the CC on for all HD channels, local and national and make everybody happy! It's actually illegal to held the CC back. Want lawsuits coming? ;-)

13. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm bumping this up--because I've yet to hear back from DirecTV from a call on this to customer support. :(

14. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Hmm. I should check a few channels.

I tried the CC button on my new TV last night during the baseball game on WPGH HD (Pittsburgh FOX local). Nothing happened. "CC OFF" was the only thing that appeared on the TV OSD no matter how many times I hit the CC button.

The TV is connected to the HR20-700 via HDMI. Does this matter?

15. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    HD Closed captioning isn't via TV, but via the tuner/dbs box.

You configure via Menu.

16. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Ok. I've played around with the CC settings on the D* box before. I just wasn't sure if the HDMI connection had any influence on the TV's CC function.

The SD channels should still show CC via the TV's button though?

17. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    No. If you're using HDMI or componant, CC is always rendered via the decoder.

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I can tell you that the appropriate people have been informed of the issue/situation... and they are working on the issue with some of these channels not having the CC.

19. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Earl,

My only question about that is: why wasn't this noticed before? When NatGeoHD went testing I mentioned this. But I shouldn't have to. I don't have Dish and can't know that certain channels have CC or not from another providor. DirecTV knows if CC is included--they either aren't paying attention or don't care until I complain LOUDLY. It seems not enough that I mention it, I have to stomp and steam about it. :(

The MPEG4 CC garbling issue on locals, the lack of CC on MPEG4 nationals--these have been known issues for some time. The CC placement issues on the HR20 have been known about for 7 months, for instance. The issue has spread to the HR21 and H21. Instead of fixing these issues, they've DUPLICATED them across new equipement.

When the new charge comes for HD channels soon, do I get to discount for those HD channels that are unwatchable for my family because they don't have the CC they should have?

I'm not looking for a discount, really--and won't ask for one. I just want fixed what SHOULD NOT BE BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE at this late date.

20. PMX4

PMX4 Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I did some looking at one of the DirecTV.com's support forums (HDTV) and found an interesting information about this problem. One of the posters contacted the D* techicians regarding the CC issue. The tech told him that the CC issue was a combination of both systems, DirecTV and broadcasters. The engineers at D* are fully aware of this problem and they are working to resolve it.

Here's the link:
    http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10298607

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.