1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No extra fee for 2nd HD receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by box986, Nov 11, 2009.

1. box986

box986 Cool Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I just bought an H23 to replace one of my 2 non-HD receivers. D* customer service told me I would pay a $5 lease fee plus $10 HD fee but said there would be no extra fee when I replace my other old receiver with an HR23, just the $6 DVR charge. Is this correct or will I still incur the $5 additional receiver fee on top of all the other fees?

Also, will they charge another $5 if I keep one of the other old receivers active as my 3rd receiver?

Thanks!

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The lease fee is the same as the additional receiver fee. It's just called by a different name with leased receivers. And it only applies to the second and subsequent receivers. The $6 DVR fee is correct and it applies to all DVRs on the account.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    More to the point, the DVR fee is per household, not per DVR.

Replacing the second receiver will cost you the up-front lease fee and probably a 24 month extension of your programming commitment starting at the point that you make the switch.

4. box986

box986 Cool Member

Nov 8, 2009
    So the total extra monthly charge of replacing my 2 old receivers with one HD & one HD/DVR would be $16? Do they charge another $5 if I keep a third receiver activated?

5. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    Exactly.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, going by the fees you listed that you are interested in, it would be $21.

$10 - HD service
    $6 - DVR fee
    $5 - 2nd recevier fee

Any additional receiver would be another $5/month. All of this is in addition to your monthly package.

- Merg

7. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    That is correct, and as Merg states, any additional receiver beyond the two would cost an extra $5 per month each.

Fixed your post. He already has two receivers, so is already paying the $5 for the second. If he stays at two, he would only be paying $16 more than he is now.

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The primary receiver doesn't get charged the lease fee. Each receiver after that does.

If you look at your bill online (not sure about the paper one) you'll see the lease fee charged to the primary receiver and then credited back...not sure why they do it that way. :scratchin

So, there should be one $6 DVR fee for as many DVRs as you fit in your house, one $10 HD access fee no matter how many HD receivers you have, and a $5 lease fee on all receivers except the primary (number of receivers minus one, times $5 gives you the total lease fees you should be paying).

Mike

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    god, would hate to see that line item on Tibber's bill :) :)

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    My bill doesn't have a charge and credit for the 1st receiver. Could that be because it is owned and not leased? 3 of my 4 are owned and I have 1 lease fee and 2 "additional receiver" fees listed.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is thought to be due to sales and/or property tax considerations. They "bundle" the fee, but they still have to collect the tax on the fee.

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Not necessarily, although it may vary by state (tax laws get complex). In my case there was a tax charge for the "leased receiver fee" on an additional receiver, but for the first there is no charge, credit or tax. An owned receiver wasn't taxed at all.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I was just pointing out that the 2nd recevier does incur the $5 fee as well.

- Merg

14. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I believe the way the primary receiver is credited is based on taxes. In my case, sales/use taxes are charged on the full amount and then the credit comes after that. God forbid my local government should miss out on the taxes on that $5/month.