1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No ground required.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dondude32, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dondude32

dondude32 Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    Just moved recently and had service installed at new home. Installer didn't ground dish? Called Directv (have the service plan wanted me to upgrade to premium service plan) and they said sometimes ground is not always necessary. Live in Southwest Florida guess they are ok with system getting zapped.:nono2:

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's always necessary. Call back and talk to a different CSR.

3. dondude32

dondude32 Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    I was talking with a technical support person. One of my HD-DVR's quit working. I remembered there was no ground at the end of conversation and that was the response I was given.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    BS. Call back. ALL installations require proper grounding to meet local codes.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    CSRs are flat out lying, every installation should be grounded.

6. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    As others have noted, grounding is required by your local jurisdiction. It does little or nothing to prevent the equipment (or you) getting zapped by lightning. It does, however provide a safety ground which would minimize the chances of getting electrocuted by a faulty electrical system or equipment failure.

Grounding is a requirement, the D* rep gave you bad information. Call them back and make them do it correctly. (at no cost to you)

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Correct, but even if there were no code, the underlying reason for grounding is safety of life and property. I would never install a dish without a proper ground. This isn't the place to take shortcuts.

8. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    The CSR is likely misinformed or guessing because they are unable or unwilling to find the correct information through research.

9. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I wouldn't worry about it- where you live there are hardly any storms. :hurah:

10. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    How do i know if my system is grounded?

11. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    I would suggest that they are not using their resources or are misinformed. "Lying" suggests intentional misconduct on their behalf and there is no way to ascertain that.
    For reference, NEC (National Electric Code) REQUIRES proper grounding and if the system cannot be properly grounded the install is supposed to be cancelled.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Short of needing an ohmeter, visually follow the cable(s) coming from the dish. They (or "it" id only one) should connect first in line to a ground block like so;

[​IMG]

Or maybe;

[​IMG]

Which has a (usually) green colored wire connected from it to any convenient screw on your electrical service panel casing.

13. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    just as an aside, back in the bad old days when anyone could install, I've lost count of how many systems I've seen grounded to propane tanks

14. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    …and as sad as it sounds, there are millions of systems out there ungrounded that are working perfectly fine. :confused: I'm not saying that is ok, rather pointed out a fact. Do not flame me….

16. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I had a tech tell me one time. The dish grounding isn't needed (installed at ground level). Told me to remove it a few weeks after he left. I never did. I know what grounding is for. No way is grounding getting removed!

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had my township's electrical inspector look at my installation and he said it was OK. Not enough power to worry about. My system has never been grounded and I don't think it's made any difference.

Rich

18. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    It always needs to be grounded sorry you were mistold. No exceptions. I hate it when CSRS flat out lie. Like if you don't know look it up in the scripts or ask a TL if you can't please find a new job outside of customer service -.-

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Then why are the plugs on all the HRs two pronged? Do you have a seperate ground for your refrigerator? I don't like grounding discussions. Too many people have too many opinions.

Rich

20. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    We aren't talking about fridges here.
    Like others said it is a requirement and is necessary:

1 person likes this.