1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HD locals. Don't like the guide.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by teneighytp, Oct 14, 2012.

1. teneighytp

teneighytp Cool Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Some complaining here. It is ridiculous that HD locals are still not available in my market of nearly 500,000 people. I don't watch the major networks at all because they're not in HD. Dish has had HD locals here for a long long time. Also, Directv's guide is horrible. It's difficult to look at, too busy and not very easy to customize and organize. Complain, complain, complain. Thanks for listening.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You're welcome... :)

I'm tempted to say that you could have checked on which locals were or were not in HD on D* before you switched, but that would be a bit tacky I suppose!

As to the guide, yeah all those ads and such are irritating as hell, but you'll get used to it with only minor grumbling as time goes on.

One neat feature of the D* guide is that if you go to the channel#/logo and highlight it, and push the 'info' button, you get a listing for that channel for quite a long period of time. Comes in handy at times.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What market are you in? It could be temporary. Fargo, Duluth and Rochester DMAs are still listed as 2012.

I don't know how customizable Dish's guide is, but DirecTVs is a lot more customizable than some others. And it is possible to remove at least some of the guide ads.

4. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    This sounds to me like "buyer's remorse". You move from site to site (SatelliteGuys) with this same complaint. You should have researched this all out before you made the move. I know people who have switched to Dish and wonder why they are not more like Directv. Why did you not expect the two providers to be different?

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Tell us what's horrible about it and what you can't customize so maybe someone can help you so you can stop complaining so much.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Major networks not in HD? All? Which ones?

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He's in one of the areas of Minnesota that don't yet have HD locals. Duluth is in testing and the others are supposed to still happen this year.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah, OK, duh on me. I was then thinking that if he couldn't get locals, he'd be eligible for a national HD feed, but he does get locals, and apparently if locals are carried in SD, he's SOL until there's an upgrade for them to HD. [?]

Thanks.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Correct. You can only get DNS if you can't get locals from the provider or OTA. Even then I think it's sometimes hard to get the stations to give the waiver.

10. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    hes talking about how on dish you can change the size of the guide, which is kinda nice to setup to your size tv, small tvs you can set it to 3 shows across, large tvs you can set it to like 6 shows across the screen

you can also make the guide go up in numbers when going up, or go down in number when going up. You can also add extra detail or remove them from the guide. Hide banner ads is also an option.

Other than that, the OP could call in and complain, maybe get a free AM21, im sure all those locals come in with a small pigtail antenna in that area, i pull in stations 80 miles away with my homemade $3 antenna on a 2x4 in attic, get roughly 30 stations OTA fed into my 722

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It always comes down to what you want to compromise. I have yet to find the perfect provider that has all the best things from all the others.

Of course for those that switch between Dish and DirecTV every two years, that doesn't really apply.

12. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Exactly. Of the 4 providers I can get I'd honestly have to say I'd go with FIOS if they had NFL ST. But Directv isn't a problem or anything. I've had them most of the last 9 years. Personally guide data and all don't bother me. But I guess I can understand the hd local frustration though I admit its not as big a deal to me since I watch a lot of GSN too and that's in SD.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Why did the OP switch again if those things were important to him? :scratch:

14. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Cost of the other service perhaps?

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That's fine, but I'm not going to switch to save money then complain it isnt what I wanted...

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I switched to FiOS to save money and because of the slow remote response of DirecTV's DVR's.

Very happy after one year, although I'd like to see FiOS carry the Pac-12 network. I understand DirecTV doesn't carry this network either.