1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No highs, no lows...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Jul 13, 2013.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    ... and no longer Bose...

From today's New York Times, Business Section:

Amar G. Bose, Acoustic Engineer and Inventor, Dies at 83

By GLENN RIFKIN
    Published: July 12, 2013

Amar G. Bose, the visionary engineer, inventor and billionaire entrepreneur whose namesake company, the Bose Corporation, became synonymous with high-quality audio systems and speakers for home users, auditoriums and automobiles, died on Friday at his home in Wayland, Mass. He was 83.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/business/amar-g-bose-acoustic-engineer-and-inventor-dies-at-83.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&hpw=&adxnnlx=1373729019-noHJyYKqgY3vYF2kLWS3wg&

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I bought my mother a Bose Wave radio back in the late 1990s. It was a "cheap" one, without a CD player, and cost $400. I brought it to our family Christmas gathering in South Carolina, and when my mother was ready to return home to New Hampshire from her extended Christmas vacation, she called me and asked me how much to insure it for. She said that the standard insurance maximum for whatever ground service she was going to use was $150, but for an additional fee, it could be insured for more.

I told her $150 was fine, because I didn't want her to think I had spent more than that on a radio, and I didn't want to show up my sister by revealing I had spent over ten times as much on that gift as she had spent on the gift she had given our mother.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, Mike, you shouldn't have! That really hurt my feelings.....
    - Sis

:smoking:

:rolling:

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No sibling rivalry there, eh Mike? :)

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Loved 901s and Cine-mate, but I was not a fan of the Lifestyle series.

Still, thoughts are with friends, family, and co-workers.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    RIP MR BOSE

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I never liked Bose (the system) found it to be much too expensive for what they were