1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No line of sight to 129 near Raleigh, NC?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by wmcneil, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    My installer just left, says he can not get a line of sight to 129 on my property. I live on a heavily wooded lot, currently have directv high def with no problems. My current dish is near the peak of my roof, and the trees are back from the house a good 80 feet in the southern direction, but after that I have lots of really tall ones. I live outside Raleigh, NC.
    The installer said he has a great deal of difficulty getting line of sight to 129 in our whole area, because 129 is only 24 degrees above horizon. He claimed that he can only get a line of sight out in the country where there is only fields and no trees.
    Is there no alternative to 129? It seems like if what the installer said was correct, then dish would be largely unable to do high def in the Raleigh area, which is one of the top 50 markets?!

2. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    You should use a different dish pointed at 61.5 for the HD content.

3. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    So the installer said nothing about two dishes being an option....I'll call Dish and see
    what they say.

4. Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    Yes - get a 2nd dish pointed to the 61.5 Sat. It has the same HD as on 129.

I'm in the same boat here in VA - I've got a dish for the main Sat's & a 2nd dish for the 61.5 Sat to get Voom/etc.

5. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson ViP622/ViP722 Guy DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2005
    I agree with the rest. You'll probably get a more reliable signal from 61.5, and might be able to get CBS-HD if you are eligible.

6. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    So here is the summary of my install saga:
    * 1st installer says no line of sight to 129, can't install a dish 1000, tells me how
    big a problem this is in my area, says nothing about an option to install two
    dishes.
    * Folks in this forum (thank you everyone!) enlighten me to the fact that I can
    get a 2nd dish to pick up the HD channels.
    * I call Dish, 20 minutes on hold, they say they are changing the work order to
    a two dish install to pick up 61.5, 20 more minutes on hold, they tell me the
    installer company will call me back immediately
    * two more calls to dish, 40 minutes more on hold, another promise installer will
    call me, 3 hours have gone by.
    * Different installer finally calls, arrives at my house at 4:30PM, has everything
    up and running (vip622) by 6:30PM.

Thank goodness I got an excellent installer the second time around, because on top of everything else, he had to argue with Dish for 20 minutes on the phone to get them to turn on my account.....BTW, I am switching from Directv to Dish, and unfortunately customer service is no better there.

So I'll give Dish some credit for managing to still get my install done today, but I'd say they get only about 40% of the credit, and the installer gets 60%.

7. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I'm glad the information from the forum helped you and that you now have all your channels. Also, welcome to DBSTalk.com, I forgot to say that earlier.

Enjoy your new receiver and channels and please feel free to post any questions you may have down the road.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Glad you eventually got things straight with a two-dish install!

I'm currently two-Dish in Raleigh and everything so far is on 61.5 that is on 129 in terms of the HD plus we get that bonus "Demo" channel to boot!

My only worry, since Dish is keeping mum about these things... is where they will decide to put the HD locals for Raleigh when they launch later this year. I hope they have been paying attention and will put our locals on 61.5... but since they put Atlanta on 129 and they are very close to the same edge of 129 coverage as we are, I was surprised.

Fingers crossed that they get it right and put the Raleigh HD locals on 61.5 or perhaps 110/119 instead. Meanwhile, depending on where you are if you are like me you may be able to do fairly well at receiving OTA with an inexpensive antenna.

I use an indoor one and am getting all the channels I care to get (PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, UPN, FOX) and almost get the channels I don't care as much for like I/PAX, a shopping channel, and WUVC the local Spanish channel.

9. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

Once E-10 is fully operational, most of the HD locals will probably be moving to 110.

10. wmcneil

wmcneil Cool Member

Mar 25, 2006
    I'm located just west of Jordan Lake in Chatham county. I have two OTA antennas, one pointed at all the channels coming from south of Raleigh, and one pointed at WUNC in Chapel Hill. These are mounted up on my roof, and I get very good off-air signal strength and picture quality.....Raleigh is number 29 in market size, so I expect Dish will put the HD locals where everyone can get them.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That is similar to what I'm doing, except indoors... I have an indoor directional antenna pointed towards the major towers and then a small omni-directional antenna that helps me pull in WUNC plus boosts the strength on the others a bit.

I'm too lazy to put up an outdoor antenna. However, in a few years when stations go completely digital and boost their power output, I may consider an outdoor antenna as I'm high enough that I might be able to pull in a few channels outside of Raleigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.