1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Line Of Site

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JayPSU, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    It's a VERY sad day for my wife and I. We just moved to a new home and have been told by the Directv installer that there is no way we can get line of site here because of all the trees. The guy was actually pretty blunt about it. He said no way in hell for the back yard, and only if we had a 20 foot pole installed on our neighbor's yard directly in front of us could he do it. How do i know if this guy knows what he's talking about? Anyone have a similar sad fate?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
  3. 251todd

251todd New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    When we moved into our home last August, the installer gave us a no go also. He gave us the option of having his supervisor come by and recheck, but it could take up to a week. We didn't want to wait that long, so decided to go with the local cable provider.

Well, the very next day his super stopped by anyway and said there is a perfect spot right at the edge of our property line. The same installer was back out the day after to install the system.

4. JayPSU

JayPSU Godfather

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes, I have. It looks like there's enough of a space if it was installed on the front roof.

5. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    Notice that dishpointer.com also has an app available for iphones or android phones that will overlay sat positions in real time over the camera output. It is $20 but is very effective.

6. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    It would, nor will NEVER, EVER happen to me - because before I would even look at a new home, it MUST be able to get BOTH D* & E* birds (ALL of them), as well as a suitable broadband provider. (around here, I would only accept Comcast, as AT&T DSL is too slow, & the other cable co. in our surrounding area, basically suck more than CC!)

I don't mean to sound cruel, but for the life of me, I really do not understand, when people are house-hunting, they don't check on things like these BEFORE they sign on the dotted line. I mean, people will check on things like schools, churches, hardwood floors, sewer/septic service, shopping centers, etc - but wait to find out about their TV & broadband needs AFTER they move in & find out they cannot get what they had before. ALL of these things (including DBS) CAN be checked out easily beforehand.

I guess people really DO think ANY TV & broadband is available everywhere... :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Maybe the next guy will get it for you because it doesnt effect his pay check if it doesnt work in a month or two. But someone that knows what he is doing will check your place for a place that will give you at least a year of service. But Dtv has lifted this to just 90 days and you are stuck for two year contract. Dont blame me.They stole so much from me I am broke.

8. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    I guess there are actually guys out there that would not buy their dream house because they wouldn't get D* or E*??? I guess to each it own.

I moved 3 years ago and didn't keep D*. Well, I am finally sick of Comcrap. Called an installer last week and they are coming by Monday or Tuesday to look at my house / yard. I thought I would have no problems, but yesterday happen to discover dishpointer. Put in my address, and OMG, I may have a problem. I have a fairly clear view of the "southern" sky, but southwest my not be so good. I live near woods; they are 150 feet or so away, but very tall. I guess if the installer is willing to go all the way up to the roof I may clear the trees.

BTW, anyone know if an installer would put the dish on a telephone pole? I got one at the bottom of my driveway where phone / cable / power comes in. It is 100 feet away from the house, but far enough from the trees were it would clear them.

In any case, even if I would have known that no way I could get D* I would have still bought the house. It was by far the best place I found. So JayPSU I may be in the same sad boat as you are.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's against the law. I've seen it done, but you (the home owner) can face hefty fines for messing with the power company's equipment.

10. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I have line of site in a few areas on my property but I wanted the dish in a curtain location. I installed myself in February (in MN Brrrr) and then 2 weeks ago I had to cut down some branches (and will probably have to continue to) but now I am back in the high 90's and a few 100's on the 101.

So my question is, can you TRIM some trees. I know cutting down trees isn't fun nor may not be worth it. But personally I would if it meant I couldn't get D*!! LOL

So how many of you have "trimmed" a tree to get LOS?

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm thinking of moving and have emailed some realtors and asked that basic 21st century question. Not one of them could determine right off hand which of their listed properties had these 21st century conveniences. Same for the online sites. It's a question that doesn't seem to be asked by anyone.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not to quibble, but "site" is defined as a place or location, while "sight" means vision, view, look or aim. Just thought you'd want to know. Before I moved, I checked line of sight at the site of my new home..

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    In urban areas I would agree with you. But in rural areas it's different. Where I live because of the acreage the ultility poles are placed well into the owners property in order bring the service to the dwelling. As long as the dish does not interfere with the service or violate safety the providers here don't mind.

14. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    Yup, when I put my house in they were VERY specific as to where they wanted there "stuff". Although they didn't care what I did with it after they were done. Ran Cable and Phone lines on the same pole.

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    To some, a house without LOS isnt a "dream home". ;)

16. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    I live in a rural area and the pole is on my property. Cable / Phone / Power come down the pole, go underground and to the house. I could put the dish in front of the pole and connect the cable from the dish before it goes underground. It's far enough from the trees where it would clear the tops of them. That would the dish about 150 feet away from the house? Is this a possible install scenario?

17. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    Bingo -- a house with a leaky roof, not enough bathrooms, no fast Broadband and no LOS is a MAJOR flaw. For many people (particularly on this forum) it is a deal killer flaw.

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Didn't think there were any rural areas left in Connecticut. The install is possible if the utility providers allow it. Where I live they do. They may or may not in your area. Have you seen any pole mounted dishes in your area?

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'd consider more than half the state rural, actually.

20. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No offense ment. I was born and raised in the nutmeg state. But compaired to where I live now Connecticut is pretty built up.