1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No Longer Able To Watch KTLA (Los Angeles) On Dish Network In Medford, OR

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chihuahua, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    This may be because we now get the local Medford, OR CW affiliate (Southern Oregon's The CW) on Channel 11 on Dish Network.

2. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Were you paying for it? If you were not, then you were only receiving it probably to fill in for the missing CW feed.

You should be able to add it to your account (online through myDISH) for $2 per month. According to Dish's Website here your still eligible to receive KTLA as well as all the other superstitions.

3. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Shortly nobody will have Suoerstations. In 2004 KBCW in San Francisco asked Dish to turn KTLA in my zip code.

4. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    We provided your area with CWs from other markets when a local CW was not carried. Now that we do offer a local CW from your own area we will no longer be offering those from other markets. This is being done to help keep costs down and ensure that DISH continues to offer the best value in pay-TV.

Local CW available is: KTVLD 11 If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Doubtless someone will see this post and we will see another rash of "the end of superstations" posts.

6. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I received the station at no additional cost initially in lieu of carraige of the local CW affiliate and did not subcribe to the superstations package.

7. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

8. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    Ray, does DISH provide the HD feed of KTVLD11? If not, is that something that may be added soon? Thanks.

9. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    I contacted 11 and got the impression that HD may be offered in a couple of years :) ... I guess Medford 48 (KFBI) is in the same ballpark :(

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Feb 2013 is the drop dead, carry all HD mandate from congress IIRC.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Noting that the mandate ONLY covers the primary feed of stations that broadcast in HD in markets where other stations are carried in HD.

Neither DISH nor DirecTV will be required to carry every local HD feed in the nation. Some markets will remain SD only and if the HD feed is not the primary station feed it may or may not be carried.

In the case of KTVL, they are primarily a CBS affiliate with a CW subchannel.

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Is there a place where we can look up what the status of all stations in a given market should be come 2/2013? I mean, we could open 100 different threads on whether or not "Market 'X'" should have "Channel 'Y'" in HD (personally, I'm wanting to see whether or not I'll get PBS in HD in the Boston market).

13. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish's website under local channels. It searches by your address.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "should" is the difficult question. What channels are carried are listed on the DISH website (as well as my own - http://uplink.jameslong.name/locallist.html ). But what should be carried under the agreement DISH made with the FCC?

The agreement covered commercial channels ... there was a dust up over PBS channels last year wanting an accelerated schedule for their carriage. I'm not sure if PBS is covered under the agreement without doing more research.

But, as a rule of thumb, if the station does not broadcast that feed OTA in HD I would not expect to see it on DISH in HD. DISH gets most of its local channels OTA and if they cannot receive a HD signal they cannot rebroadcast it. If it is broadcast in HD and isn't the primary signal on that station HD carriage is not required.

That being said, I expect DISH will do better that what is required of them under the agreement.

15. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    Only Buckeye Cable and Time Warner Cable off the local CW in my area. DirecTV just gave us the Washington DC CW for free, do I have to pay the $2 for a superstation to get the CW in my area? I'm thinking of switching.

16. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

When you go to the dishnetwork website select locals enter your zipcode it will tell you which channels you can receive with your subscription.