1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Mad Men in HD for D* or E*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Mark Walters, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    From everybody's favorite -- Swanni :lol:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/smad072310.htm

I think he should of put Rainbow Media's contact information as well. I would guess they are the main culprit as to why AMC has not been added in HD on satellite television. With everyone complaining of price increases by D* & E* every year, this is a time I'm happy with them sticking to their guns.

2. jasondm4

jasondm4 Mentor

Mar 4, 2010
    League City, TX
    You would think Rainbow Media would be eager to get AMC HD on D* and E* and negotiate with some decent pricing for the provider. I guess that's not the case with them though. :(

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Leave it to Swanni to state the obvious!

I want every channel in HD to be on DirecTV BUT I also want DirecTV who for all practical purposes represents us in these matters to fight companies inflated notions of their value.

Mad Men by itself is not justification for a major increase in price. Show me even a prime time schedule that's all HD and I'll cut them some slack, but one show? Face it, AMC may have other HD but the show everyone is upset about is Mad Men.

So DirecTV... stand your ground!

4. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    I would think that Rainbow Media is using the timing to ask for even more from the providers. It's probably why we never seem to get these networks/HD feeds when we want them, but rather when they are less significant. And who knows where the current contract stands and how adding an HD feed would affect it? I would say there's a 0.2% chance we get to watch Season 4 of Mad Men in HD on D*.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If you must see Mad Men in HD and can't wait for BluRay, then I suggest torrents or VOD streaming.

6. slimoli

slimoli Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    It's not only Mad men. AMC series are very good and that's why they are getting so many awards. Breaking Bad is my favorite and Rubicon looks very promising too. I would be very happy to pay 2 or 3 bucks more for AMC-HD, I'm paying much more to watch the shows in HD from Amazon VOD since Directv SD is absolutely unwatchable on a large screen TV.

I do agree, though, that this should be made "a la carte" and not footing the bill to all subscribers. I pay for more than 150 channels I never watch, let me pay for something I really like.

7. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    There aren't any HD Mad Men in Directv's VOD. Right?

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I didn't say Directv's VOD. ;)

9. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    The tango is a difficult dance to learn.

10. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    New drinking game....

Everytime satracer uses the word "tango" in a post. :lol:

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Some of the so-called HD channels we do get are just 4X3 letter boxed (side-bars). My biggest pet peeve is when a channel like CMT shows a movie in OAR with boxes on all sides. It seems nearly all the "music" channels (except Palladia) is this way.

Why do they bother to provide an "HD" channel when the only true HD shown are some of the commercials :p

12. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Are they any Mad Men HD in torrents and is it illegal to download them?

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Blame the content provider rather than the service provider. The folks who run those channels/networks need to step up and offer more HD programming.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    :grin: Feel lucky?

15. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    I have seen skilled people tango in South America, it is difficult, but I think on another note, the bigger issue is that one can now download MadMen in HD on Amazon the day after it airs. Not cheap, but I bet this is a first inkling of the future. I watch a lot of Netflix streaming movies via my BD player and the picture is pretty good with a 5 mbps connection, I figure when I get a higher speed connection from U Verse, internet, not TV, the picture will be even a bit better.

16. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I am taking that for a no.:)

17. cfkane

cfkane AllStar

Mar 14, 2010
    Yes and Yes.

18. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    In any form a Proper Tango is not easy to perform correctly.

I suspect even moreso when "Little Jimmy Dolan" is playing a key role in said Dance being properly executed.:)

19. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Its funny theres an article @ tvbythenumbers saying that this show has never even gotten a 1.0 rating 18-49 yet.

20. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/2...-achieve-a-1-0-rating-with-adults-18-49/58020

Interesting disclaimer from the author: