1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No more $10 HD access credit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KoRn, Jul 18, 2013.

1. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Can't complain really. Been getting it for the last 2-3 years if I remember correctly. This is when Directv was offering free life time HD access to new customers. And was some what trying to extend it to others. Catch was you needed to be in auto pay. Noticed the credit was gone on my latest statement and decided to call in. I thought it would be renewed again with no problem. I was informed Directv stopped offering that to current customers. It was a 2 year promo or so. No problem. As I was about to hang up. The rep. did find something in their system per my account for a $5 credit. That would be for 3 months. Said thanks again and would gladly accept it.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep, it was for two years. Some of us were hoping that after two years, the HD fee would just go away, but there are still a lot of SD customers. Of course the HD fee going away would probably include an extra bump in the price increases.

3. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    yeah, when my $10 credit expired, I cut down the programming package since they would not play ball...

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I got lucky when the HD Credit promotion expired. I got in on the credit almost immediately after it initaally became available. Apparently, DirecTV had some problem with their email system (that they subsequently fixed) that caused an email to be sent when my 2 year credit expired (rather than when it started) saying that they were going to give me 2 years of free HD.

When they didn't extend the credit automatically and my bill increased by $10, I called and asked about it. The first CSR couldn't help me. But I was transferred to someone who was able to verify that this email had been sent to me a month earlier. So, they honored the email and extended the "Advanced Receiver-HD 24 Months Free HD Access" credit for another 2 years.

5. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    Back in June I called in to change packages and I was offered a $10 credit for HD for a year. Here is the line from my last bill. If this is what you are talking about then they will still give you a HD credit.

06/17

07/16

Advanced Receiver-HD 12 Months Free HD Access

Credit

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Agree. it'll be probably be "buried" somewhere with other fees. As it stands now, new customers do not have an "HD access" fee but rather a "advanced receiver" fee.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, when I was thinking the fee might go away, I was thinking more for current customers. But, we at least pay $2 less.

8. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Funny how they had a promo, 4 years ago, for new customers. Free HD for Life. So why doesn't every customer qualify for that? They're starting to act like the banks, find any excuse to put a fee on it and not call it an increase. It's all the same to me. I'm considering dropping my HD, after next spring, if they don't do something about this. Most customers are now HD, so fix it or lose customers.

9. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    More or less, my story as well. The email bought me another 2 years with the credit.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe last year, in a filing with the FCC, they said that 40% of new customers had HD.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    From the 2012 Annual Shareholders Report (page 27 of 154 of the PDF version):

12. DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Texas
    Pretty disgusting that they practically admit to introducing the "Advanced Receiver Fee" as a way of reneging on the "Free HD for Life" deal. Not that I'd expect them to behave differently, it is just unfortunate that so many companies do these kinds of deceitful things now.

Props to you for reading all 154 pages though?!? At least skimming it for the good stuff I imagine!

13. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    Funny how they had a promo, 4 years ago, for new customers. Free HD for Life. So why doesn't every customer qualify for that? They're starting to act like the banks, find any excuse to put a fee on it and not call it an increase. It's all the same to me. I'm considering dropping my HD, after next spring, if they don't do something about this. Most customers are now HD, so fix it or lose customers.

So you're saying you'll watch everything in SD? If you have HD boxes, you have to have HD service, unless you are in an mpeg4 market.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, he will just call in and request another discount..... !rolling

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Actiually, I'm not even sure that 50% of D*'s customers are HD yet...so I dont think that is accurate.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right. I

Right, if last year only 40% of new customers were going HD, there's a lot of legacy customers out there.

17. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    While I dont dispute the reported numbers it really surprises me that the penetration is not a lot higher. Considering that the retail market has been exclusively HD for 4 - 5 years, you can buy a smaller HD set for $200 - $300 and the fact that DirecTV has always been the upper end of the pay TV market I would expect penetration to be in the 75% range

18. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While 75% of US households "might" have an HD TV, it does not necessarily means they have an HD as the source.

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......It amazes me how many people purchase a HDTV and fail to realize you need a HD signal to go with it.