1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more free HD with autopay?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Caromsoft, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Caromsoft

Caromsoft Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    I activated my HR34 yesterday and told the rep I wanted to set up autopay to get the 24 month free HD. He told me that the free HD offer ended 4 days ago and DirecTV isn't offering it anymore. I asked him if he could do anything since I purchased the HR34 to replace my SAT-T60 DirecTivo which has been dying and he gave me 6 months free HD.

As a 10 year customer who's never asked for anything before I was hoping for more but I guess it is better than a poke in the eye. :(

2. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    That's a bummer because I was just thinking about doing that now that I am able to have that happen. Guess I'll just keep doing it the same way I do now and wait to see if it comes back. :(

3. kenpac89

kenpac89 Legend

Jan 3, 2006
    I must have just made it in. I called last Friday to do this, but they had to wait 24 hours for my autopay subscription to show up on my account (I had just done it through the Web site right before the call). So, I called back on Monday morning and they signed me up for the free HD.

I guess maybe they made a note in my account that I called in on that Friday or maybe because I signed up for autopay on Friday, before the deadline. I dunno.

You may want to call back again and see if you could get another rep that can do it for you.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Drop a line to: ellen.filipiak@directv.com

Perhaps the office can help you, Worth a try. When did you purchase the HR34 Was it before the deadline and it took awhile to get the install done ?

5. Caromsoft

Caromsoft Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    I purchased it from Solid Signal and it took a week to arrive. I Installed it myself yesterday. Just as a note because I've seen where others have had issues, I had no problems setting it up and activating it.

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would point that out to the D* office It may or may not work,Doesn't hurt to ask :)

7. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    So does that mean if you had no-cost HD for a set period, when it expires you'll be dunned $10 per month?

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yes, once the two years is up, you'll start paying the $10. Unless you were a new customer when it's $10 off for life.

At the time this was started, it was surmised that sometime in the future the $10 HD fee would be dropped altogether. Hopefully, this will happen before my two years is up.:)

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It is simple. If they stop the credit, I stop it's requirement.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think my 2 years ended because I got several emails and at least one postcard confirming my order of free he and the requirements. So seemed to me that it auto-renewed. I got the credit on my last bill at least.

11. SparkyX

SparkyX Cool Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I've been wondering what will happen to those of us who were current subscribers without free HD who called in and got free HD for two years. I have an email where I notified someone about it and it was dated 6/6/10. I thought I got in pretty early--dpeters11, do you know when you signed up?

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not specifically, but likely within the first few days of it being mentioned on here.

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    When I had to replace my one and only receiver last month, twice, I got the email and the confirmation postcard again, twice -- I think, both times they had to deactivate the old and activate the new, they had to "rebuild" the services on my account. So I'm a little curious if it reset the 2-year clock (but not curious enough to bother calling and asking).

14. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    They should just give free HD to all of their customers. Wasn't there a promotion for new subscribers, last year, for Free HD for Life? Pretty stupid to give it to new people, while ignoring the long time customers who've spent tens of thousands of dollars on Directv for the last 15 years. :nono:

15. tinmanohio

tinmanohio Cool Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Just called DTV, the CSR told me you can still get free HD for 24 months with auto bill pay. I hope she know what she is talking about. I am getting HD upgrade in the morning. The web site says free HD for life to new customers if you look under "how do I get HD".

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I recently started the free 2 yr hd deal (previously had 1yr without autopay). Don't like the way they handle their autopay.

I didn't get notification until 24hrs AFTER the charge was made which was the same day the bill was generated. Since I am using a credit card it's no big deal but for those using a debit card or bank account it could cause problems.

My Fios Internet autopay sends me an email on the date the bill is generated stating something like "your bill was posted today, payment will be taken in 14 days." Same for my Amex cards and other auto payments. There is always some sort of "lead time" between notification and taking of payment, just like when you get a paper bill in the mail that says "must be paid by xx/xx/xx."

I guess their IT folks can't figure out how to program that feature. In the long run I would think advanced notification would be to THEIR advantage as well in order to avoid bounced payments. Bottom line is "use a credit card" and not a debit or checking account.

I'm expecting all the "you should be aware of your due dates" and "keep enough money in your bank account" messages that will undoubtedly pop up but since the majority of all others do provide advanced notification it is something that is common and should be done as a courtesy.

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It has been reported that checking accounts are given a lead time, but debit cards are processed like credit cards on the billing date. I wouldn't recommend anyone use a debit card for their DIRECTV bill.

I agree it would be nice if the they processed all of them with a lead time, since that is more "normal" for most companies.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Correct. I used my checking account for over one year. I would get an email with my new bill on the 28th with payment being deducted on the (upcoming) 16th. Shifted to credit card to get the rewards points.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I still think there should be advanced notice for all forms of payments but (for checking accounts at least) they seem to do it right. I guess they can't "sense" credit vs. debit cards. Still, debit cards must cause quite a bit of problems, especially for the card holders with $35 overdraft fees although now banks are not supposed to overdraft debit cards (without permission) but just reject the payment.

20. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    I just changed from a credit card to debit card for auto-pay. Previously my bill printed on the 30th and charge was on my card on the next day. Now with the debit card the charge posts on the 13th, six days before my due date.