1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No NASA HD on D*?!?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lokar, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2012 #1 of 35
    lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I am watching the coverage of the Curiosity landing on Mars now on NASA's website in HD since D* only shows NASA in SD. If they are giving away the HD channel to everyone, why doesn't D* show it? Being a government channel, I would guess it's free to everyone all the time.

2. Aug 6, 2012 #2 of 35
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    While there is no carriage fee, it is not entirely free. DirecTV still needs to bear the cost to upload the signal to the satellite, and they need the bandwidth on the satellite to transmit the signal back to earth. The government only provides the signal to DirecTV for free. Everything that it takes to get the signal from DirecTV to you does cost money and takes away resourses that DirecTV could be using to provide another HD channel.

3. Aug 6, 2012 #3 of 35
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I don't see it that way - those are fixed costs, IMHO.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #4 of 35
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Just go to NASA.gov, the HD stream can be found there and is indeed of better quality than the NASA SD feed on DirecTV.

Not that it was that more exciting in HD..... they were the same coffee-loaded, bearded, tired-looking scientist waiting for a word from the rover. :D

5. Aug 6, 2012 #5 of 35
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    at least it's a free channel AT&T U-verse forces you to get U-300 with stars and showtime to get it.

and some cable systems have it in a sports pack.

6. Aug 6, 2012 #6 of 35
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Sure they are fixed costs, but they are costs nonetheless. Even DirecTV has limited resources. They could use those resourses for NASA or for some other channel. Bandwidth is not infinite.

7. Aug 6, 2012 #7 of 35
    alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    NASA in HD would be nice, but D* has limited bandwidth at the moment. A present HD network (like Shorts) would have to be removed or planned additions would have to be delayed to add it.

8. Aug 6, 2012 #8 of 35
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    That is not happening. Shorts HD is HD only, and it has a carriage agreement, probably for several years. Removing it would be a breach of contract. I know plenty of people seem to hate this channel, but it isn't going to be removed. Not until it's contract expires, and I don't know when that is. Usually, contracts are signed from anywhere between 3 to 10 years, it really depends. 5 years seems to be an average.

As a matter of fact, once HD is added, it probably will not be removed again, unless the channel itself (like G4 or Versus back when) is removed completely.

9. Aug 6, 2012 #9 of 35
    pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    Just another slap in the face to DirecTv subscribers . DirecTv sucks ! No HD Nasa channel . What a joke !

10. pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    Shorts what a waste of a channel in HD ! This channel sucks !

11. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Somehow I got "Beavis" in my head now from the old style Beavis and Butthead on MTV.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The costs are only fixed if they have the bandwidth to burn. If they don't, much capex is involved. DIRECTV discovered the high cost of taking channels down temporarily the hard way.

13. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any major television provider carrying NASA in HD. I believe UStream carries it in HD online, but maybe someone can point me to where NASA is carried in HD by a television provider. Maybe there is one out there, but not sure who.

14. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    TWC only carries in SD.

Understandable as well, even though they don't have to pay a retransmission fee, they can't make money off the channel either by inserting local commercials, which they can with other channels.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, he at least didn't spell it "sux"..... heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh.

16. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Not exactly major, but to my knowledge, only Brighthouse carries it, and it's not on all their systems.

~Alan

17. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I forgot about the bandwidth argument, but that would only be an excuse if D* is maxed out right now, which I don't know if they are or not.
    In the meantime, if D* would at least letterbox the channel for SD instead of center cutting it, it would look a lot better. A lot of the graphics and computer readouts had stuff cut off on the left and right sides of the screen due to the center cut.

18. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Kind of understandable though as they are the cable provider or the space coast.

19. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Very good point... I didn't even think of that when I posted about it. :eek:

~Alan

20. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Actually, Viacom did. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.