1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No program guide this morning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kenster, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 8, 2002 #1 of 12
    Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    After getting my D* and UTV activated yesterday I really had fun playing around with it last night. Everything worked great, 95% signal strength on both tuners. All functions of the UTV worked.
    This morning when I tried to turn it on, I just got a screen tbat said "Searching for Signal" then when I punched in "guide" it " said "searching for Program guide." It never did come back on.
    Signal check still shows 95% on both tuners. System check showed everything ok but it showed "tuner failure" on both tuners! I did the power off/unplug re-boot a couple of times, and pulled the card and replaced it. Nothing! How could it be perfect at 10:00 last night and not work at all at 6:00 this morning?
    Any ideas?

2. May 8, 2002 #2 of 12
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I wish I had an answer for you on this one Kenster, I have heard nothing but good things about the UltimateTV product.

My guess would be that you got a Union Box. This means that you box refuses to work untill 9am. :D (Just kidding of course)

I would try unplugging the power for 10 - 20 minutes and see if that helps.

Let us know how you make out!

3. May 8, 2002 #3 of 12
    Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you keep unplugging it, it will keep losing the program guide. It takes up to 24 hours to load in the full guide.

Try switching the incoming cables into the unit. Has anything moved your dish or anything like that? It could be any number of problems from the multi-switch, the LNB on your dish. With both tuners not working, it sounds like the LNB. Do you have another receiver that is working? That would eliminate the dish, LNB, and multi-switch.

I'd also call D* and make sure nothing is going on with your service.

If worse comes to worse call Sony and request a replacment since it is under warranty.

4. May 8, 2002 #4 of 12
    Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Just for the record, Neilster had his Ultimate TV service and DirecTV service installed on Monday.

It should not be dead already.

Neilster dont let this get you down, your problem is not something that normally happens, although it is known that if a piece of consumer equipment is to fail it usualy fails within the first week of using it.

5. May 8, 2002 #5 of 12
    HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Did you do the install yourself?? If not, call your installer ASAP. If you did the install, check your connections, check the DISH ..

6. May 8, 2002 #6 of 12
    Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I went home for while this morning. Same problem. A system check showed real strong signal but it showed failures of both tuners. Called Tech again. She had me reboot again. Finally got a picture that kept fading in and out. First pixelate then black out, search for signal, back on, over and over. She said she was convinced the receiver was no good. I took it back to BB to exchange it (RCA). Hopefully this will take care of it. Otherwise, I'll call the installer back out.

7. May 9, 2002 #7 of 12
    Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Kenster,

Did you get a new machine yet? If so, is it working for you?

8. May 9, 2002 #8 of 12

I hooked up the replacement machine last night. Works beautifully.
    My other receiver upstairs has been having problems since new, a whole three days. At first they said it was a bad card. Got a new card via Fed-ex today. Plugged it in. Called D*. Got it activated. Nothing! I'm getting a 95 signal but no programming.
    Took it downstairs and tried it on both cables that come in to the UTV. Still nothing. All I get is "searching for satellite signal."
    D* tech (not just the customer service reps, but the tech guy) says it has to be a bad receiver! Another one! First UTV was bad, now the regular receiver is bad? One more trip to BB for an exchange. Makes me wish I had gone with Sony instead of RCA, but BB didn't have the kits in Sony, or Sony UTVs.
    Stay tuned for the continuing saga...

9. May 9, 2002 #9 of 12

Darn, did it again. The above message by "Guest" was by Kenster. Under the reply window, it said "logged in user: Kenster.
    Why do I show up as a guest?

10. Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Well, made a trip back to BB today to switch out the RCA receiver. D* had just sent me a new card yesterday and I had already mailed back the original one. The BB customer service girl said they couldn't take it back without the original card. Keep in mind that I only bought this last Saturday, got it installed Monday, and it had not worked yet, even with the replacement card. I went to my Sales guy. He handed me a new receiver, told me to keep my card, and walked me to the door. Set it up, activated it with D* and am now getting a great picture on it with a 96 signal strenth. Hope it lasts. What are the odds of two new receivers both being bad right out of the box?

11. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Hmm I am not sure if I should tell you that you should go play the lottery, or to avoid the lottery. :lol:

12. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    What the heck, it's only a buck, play the lottery. :)

I hope all goes well for you now, you've already had a couple years worth of problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.