1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No sound during SD commercials on HD station

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dmspen, Mar 11, 2014.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I've known for a long time I could switch to an SD channel and not get any sound until I performed a new handshake with my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH). This basically required switching away from the SAT HDMI port and back.

Now, when an SD commercial pops up on an HD station, there will be no sound. When the HD show returns, so does the sound.

I believe this is new behavior and may be coincident with the latest update. Or maybe I never noticed before. I have no idea whether it is the Hopper, the AVR, or SD commercials no longer come with sound!

I haven't thoroughly fleshed out this problem by performing some tests like seeing if it happens during a recorded show, if it happens if I rewind into the commercial, if it happens without the AVR, different HDMI ports, etc.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

2. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Sounds like a great feature to me. :up:

3. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    "SD Commercial", or "LOCAL commercial"......?
    The major networks transmit a Spanish-language/Descriptive-video channel to their affiliates. They run Spanish occasionally, but it's mostly used for the Descriptive-Video Service for the visually impaired viewers. That's the stuff where you can hear the normal audio on one channel (usually the right), and a narrator (on the left) describing the on screen action. You'll hear things, during pauses in the regular audio, like, "And, he turns to leave...stopping..he turns back and faces her." It's used on a few prime-time (mostly drama) shows each week.

The network leaves mono audio up on the Spanish/DVS track as a filler, but it doesn't come through when the affiliate is broadcasting local programming or local commercials, so you'll just get silence. Is your receiver set to the "Spanish" or "Alternate Language" track, under "Preferences" in the menu?

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Sounds (no pun intended) like your sound settings on the receiver are wrong, should be PCM and DD, IIRC.

5. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Hopper sound settings are correct, PCM and DD, no second language.

More investigation is required...

6. JeffN9

JeffN9 Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    You really got me wondering what would cause this. According to the Hopper manual if you have the audio output set to DD only you'll get no sound with any SD programming. BUT I can't figure out how you set it to DD only. The only settings like mentioned above are DD/PCM and PCM only, no DD only. My guess is that a lot of the manual was copied from previous receiver models.

The only thing left is your AVR. Have you tried going into the AVR menu to make sure that something wasn't set wrong for that input? Like digital only? Your AVR digital/analog processor might also be having a problem. Have you tried using an optical cable for audio instead of the HDMI?

7. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I haven't checked my AVR detailed settings. I think I can make this happen when switching to SD channels, even the Sirius music channels.
    I guess it's time to really re-setup my AVR. I bet the AVR is at fault. I think the HDMI audio gets lost when switching to SD/stereo mode.

8. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    There may be some setting for "Digital Output" of the receiver, that asks if you want "PCM" (regular old stereo digital audio), or "Dolby Digital Bitstream".
    There may even be a mismatch between the settings in the receiver and in the AVR setup, too.
    You probably want "Auto-select" or something similar, so it follows whatever is there in the program.

9. Apr 4, 2014 #9 of 11
    dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Interesting. I changed the sound processing on my Pioneer AVR to auto surround and the SD commercials now have sound. I wish I checked what it was set to before!

10. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Something to do with PCM or DD?

11. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I had the AVR in some Dolby Digital movie mode. As soon as I hit the AUTO Surround mode SD commercials worked again. The sound loss also happened when going to Sirius Channels.