1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No Sound on Client

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Gregavi, May 1, 2014.

1. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    Hi all,
    I have the HR 34 and one client. About half the time I use the client to watch recorded programming, there is no sound. I can usually solve the problem by going to a different recorded program, start playing it, (It will most often have sound) go back to the original program, start from beginning and most often will play with sound. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times before I can get sound. I should NOT have to do this. This causes my wife to pull her hair out with frustration. This never happens with the "Mother" box. Is this something that can be fixed? Do I need an upgraded client or Mother box? If this issue is not resolved, I will look for an alternative to DirecTV as soon as my agreement is up (in a few months).

Thanks in advance.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Which client? Is there an AVR in the mix? What TV? Have you tried a new HDMI cable, or even better for testing, hooking up via component.

3. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    C31-700 client. Yes, there is an AVR in the chain. TV is a Samsung DLP. I doubt it's a bad HDMI cable based on the fact that the procedure to correct it has nothing to do with the HDMI cable. The AVR in the mix is a possibility but my "Mother Box" goes through an AVR as well with no issues.

Not sure what Component hookup would accomplish since this is a sound not video issue. The client doesn't have that type connection anyway. Maybe a "Digital Audio" connection would help with the diagnosis.

4. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    I would bypass the AVR and run the HDMI cable directly to the TV and see if the issue still exists when getting sound from the TV instead of the AVR. If the issue only exists on the AVR then you will have to use something besides HDMI pass-through, possibly digital audio. If the same issue exists on the TV then contact DTV for a service call.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would definitely run this to the AVR for the sound. Something is having a handshake problem in the HDMI connections. It could be the HDMI cable, the receiver or the AV receiver. Changing to the Digital Coax will eliminate that possibility.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Exactly. What I was getting at earlier.

7. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    I wasn't questioning the "handshake" possibility, only the 'defective HDMI cable' possibility. I will try the digital audio connection. I'm assuming the client will output HDMI and digital audio simultaneously.

Thanks for your input guys.

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes