1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sound on tv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by oldbamaguy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Well, this is a strange one. I got a new HR22NC-100 on Friday. It is connected to two HR20-100s on a Zinzell MS6x8WB-Z. Anyhow when I power it on using the remote's D* & TV Power switch, everything appears to be normal, but there is no sound on the TV! There is closed captioning but no sound. This has happened maybe 6 or 7 times in about 3 days. The sound doesn't come on after a few minutes (I waited 10 minutes). Anyhow after a few minutes, I powered it off and on and this time I got sound. Experimenting I have powered it on using the "PRW" button in the D* position and it works normally. I did a reboot the first time it happened.
    Anyone have any similiar "pecularities"??
    Any Suggestions?? (ie live with it)
    Many Thanks to All!!
    oldbamaguy

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Is it connected via HDMI to the tv? It could very well be an HDMI handshake issue with your tv if connected that way. What Make/Model is your tv?

3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    You could try connecting a composite (yellow/red/white) cable. That would help determine if it was an HDMI connection issue.

:)

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If there's "closed captioning, but no sound", doublecheck that the TV's audio is not set to "Mute". Some TV's automatically display closed captions if their audio is muted.

5. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    I have a RCA LCD Flat Panel HDTV model L42FHD37YX7 television, about a year old. I've had one of the HR20-100s connected to HDMI1 for several months with no problems. I connected the HR22NC-100 to HDMI2. I think there is a HDMI3 which I may try. And then I guess I could swap the HR-DVR connected to HDMI1 to HDMI2 and vice versa. The problem could then stay the same, swap HD-DVRs or something new, I guess. I tend to suspect the newest "piece to the puzzle".
    I'll post what I try.
    Anybody else had anything like this??
    Thanks to all!!
    oldbamaguy

6. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Yep, I checked. I have the two TVs side by side. I usually have one muted and the other with sound on. I hit mute and the mute symbol (whatever it is) swaps back and forth between the sets. When there is no mute symbol and I am on the HR22NC-100, I get no sound. I have to set the closed captioning manually (yellow button) on this setup. Whatever I had months ago (ComCast) worked like you said, ie on mute you got AUTOMATIC Closed Captioning.
    Best Wishes To All!!
    oldbamaguy

7. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Before I swapped cables about, I thought That I would try and duplicate the problem.

Test1
    Okay power on HR22NC-100 Closed Captioning but no sound (connected to HDMI2). The HR20-100c on HDMI1 (on the same tv) works normally. I cycle through the remotes "TV INPUT" choices when I get back to HDMI2, there is now sound on the HR22NC-100.
    Repeated this complete sequence twice.

Test2
    Powered HR22NC-100 on - no sound, powered off and on, sound. Repeated this sequence twice.

8. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Test3, I swapped the cables pulled into the TV's HDMI1 and HDMI2 at the TV end. The First time both HD-DVRs worked normally. Unfortunately when I tried to repeat the test, the HR22NC-100's sound was missing. THIS repeated, ie HR20-100s always normal operation, HR22NC-100s shows Closed Captioning. but No Sound.

Test4. I thought if might be some sort of "reverse thinking" and if Closed Captioning is on, the sound is automatically muted. Nice thought, but no change.

At this point, I am left with three possibliities (I think)
    1) swap HDMI cables on the HD-DVR end (ie a bad cable)
    2) problems with HR22NC-100
    3) minor problem, live with it

Other solutions, ideas??
    Thank You Very Much!!
    oldbamaguy

9. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Well I swapped HDMI cables at the HD-DVR end. The TV didn't like it much, but I had been there before, so I unplugged the tv and plugged it back in. Well it was the same thing, the HR20-100 worked normally (no sound failures at all). The HR22NC-100 still had the sound problem, ie Closed Captioning okay, but no sound. If I cycle through the "TV Format" options when I get back to the one on the HR22NC-100, the sound is okay. If I power it off and on using the PWR button it is okay. If I power it off and on using the D* & TV button a second time, the sound is okay.
    hmmmmmmmmmm!!
    Your thoughts??
    Thank You Very Much!!
    oldbamaguy