1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Stanley Cup on Dish

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by mowingnut1, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mowingnut1

mowingnut1 Cool Member

Feb 17, 2006
    OLN will have exclusive coverage of conference finals and the first two games of the Cup finals. If E* doesn't end it's pissing contest with Comcast, we miss those games. I have emailed ceo@echostar.com to demand coverage of those games. If you love hockey, you should too.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What's the pissing contest?

OLN cheated their contract after buying rights to NHL and refused to transmit the games unless Dish renegotiated the contract in the middle of its term.

People, especially hockey fans, should be mad at OLN for pulling this trick. Dish was standing up for itself and to some extent customers by refusing this extortion tactic.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't know who is p***ing and who did or did not violate the contract. butt here is very little hope ofa settlement before the playoffs.

4. mowingnut1

mowingnut1 Cool Member

Feb 17, 2006
    There's more to this than Comcast cheating their contract. If that was all that happened, it would be a breach of contract and a legal solution would entail. Charlie's never been shy about going to court. The fact that they haven't tells me Dish signed a contract giving them limited rights and now they have to fix it. There's always more to the story. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be too tight.

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In a lawsuit what would Dish actually gain if they won?

Not everything can be solved in a lawsuit, especially when it costs money to sue people.

6. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    You're kidding, right?

* A public record clearly and impartially declaring that OLN violated its contract

* Restoration of OLN to Dish under the pre-existing contract terms (unless OLN went out of business)

* Cash damages to cover Dish's lost subscribers, legal fees, and maybe Charlie's emotional distress ;)

In an earlier thread, I covered the extensive evidence supporting the idea that OLN did not violate the letter of its contract, and the paucity of evidence to the contrary. We can all agree that we're not happy about the way that OLN does business, but there is very little to suggest that OLN actually broke its contract with Dish.

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What would a public record do? In this case, I really don't see the gain for Dish in a lawsuit.

Returning OLN to Dish under the pre-existing contract terms is what Dish wanted then... by now I imagine they don't care if they get OLN back because clearly there hasn't been a mass exodus of customers leaving Dish.

IF Dish lost a whole bunch of subscribers over this, that might be worth a lawsuit... but frankly it appears as though Dish has gained... because the outcry hasn't been that big of a deal, I doubt they lost many customers AND they are no longer paying OLN for carriage, so that is extra bonus profit.

A lawsuit would cost Dish money... and they wouldn't be able to prove enough of a financial loss over the OLN thing to win anything for the effort.

So I don't see where Dish could gain with a lawsuit against OLN over a channel that clearly isn't that important to most folks.

8. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I can't argue with your logic. If you don't care about a public relations victory, and if you don't really want the channel back, and if you don't care about the money, then there's absolutely no reason to sue OLN. QED.

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I just seriously doubt Dish has lost any revenue over OLN... probably, as I mentioned Dish is resulting in a semi-profit since dropping the channel... and since Dish seems to always look like the bad guy anyway when they fight publically I think they are better off letting it go.

10. HCTXPablo

HCTXPablo Cool Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Actually, your letters should go to the NHL main office as well as the main office of your local hockey team. I believe that is going to be the only way to get some resolution--and probably not before the playoffs.

I have two major bones to pick with the "new" NHL regarding television. First is the OLN situation with Dish (and for a while, I understand with Direct). When you are coming off a washed out season, you have to do EVERYTHING to make sure your product is available to the largest audience. The moment this occured between OLN and Dish, the NHL should have stepped in immediately, been the mediator, and if it took financial incentives to either Dish or OLN, the NHL should have made sure not a single fan with Dish missed the opportunity to view a single minute of NHL coverage on OLN.

The second issue I have is with hockey on HDNet. Anytime my home team, Dallas Stars, are on HDNet, it is blacked out in favor of the Fox Sports Southwest feed or the local UHF channel feed. OK, maybe, I can understand blacking out the home games, but not the road games. Actually, needing to capture and bring back as large an audience and fan base as possible, it should not be blacked out EVER. I realize that this goes back to contracts between the local and RSN affiliates, but again this is where common sense by the league should have taken over. To me, it is not the same product, since one is in SD and one is in HD. But no matter, the league should have offered whatever financial and other considerations to get the blackout rule lifted. All I heard during the lockout was how big a High-Def presence the NHL wanted to have post-lockout, but the only HD hockey I have been able to watch this season was during the Olympics. It is awesome and the NHL should have done EVERYTHING possible to get their games in HD. Yes, I could watch the game of the week on HDNet, but I chose to watch the Stars in SD because it was on at the same time.

This is all very frustrating...with all of the need to build up good will after losing a year and what happens? Well, if the Stars make it to the conference finals (should I say WHEN Dallas plays Detroit in the west finals), I guess I better have a seat in the AAC or become a barfly--otherwise I will not get to see it. That would be VERY bad. Same goes I guess for Dish subs in Detroit, Denver, Philly, NYC, Carolina, and anywhere else their team will have a chance to play deep in the playoffs.

Write those letters...mine goes out tomorrow!!! Good luck...go Stars...go Dish...

Pablo

11. mowingnut1

mowingnut1 Cool Member

Feb 17, 2006
    I agree with you Pablo, the NHL should have stepped in. I have written numerous letters and emails to the NHL with out a response. Seems typical of the league, they are paying Comcast to broadcast their games, but are getting less exposure than they paid for. Btw, I would like to see Dallas and the Wings play in the finals, and like you, won't be able to unless I switch to Direct. A distinct possibility! Of course, if you look at my handle, you can guess who I think will win the Cup!

12. mrbo

mrbo New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I hear you, Pablo! Exactly the same frustration here. Not only do I have HDNet but I also have Center Ice, and there were at least 2 Stars games that I can think of, that were carried on Fox Sports Net, that were also carried in high definition on the Center Ice package, but us poor slobs here in Dallas had to watch them on channel 416, because the damn HD feed was blacked out!!! Nevermind the fact that it was the exact same channel (i.e. FSN). In fact, on the SD channel, it even said "Tonights game is broadcast in high definition where available". Nothing can piss you off more than knowing that you can't watch the game in HD, simply because some stupid paper pusher sitting a cubicle somewhere decided these idiotic blackout rules. To put it another way, who do they think will watch the game, if not Stars fans? If you black it out in the home market, you instantly remove the largest portion of your potential audience. Duh!

I like the way you put that. :)

Go Stars!

Bo

13. wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Is there any new information on this situation. This is really making me ill. I see that most of the Redwings first round games are on OLN. Does this mean that they won't be carried on NHL Center Ice?

14. mowingnut1

mowingnut1 Cool Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Hey Wingnut, No, as far as I know,there is nothing new as far as OLN. I'm not just fed up with this issue, but, what will be the next channel that Dish takes down. I want consistant programming, not this constant "give me what I want or I take down your channel" crap. This doesn't happen on Direct and their fees are comparable to Dish's. I just called a local Direct retailer. I will have my new system in time for the Wings game Friday night. After 10 years it's adios Dish for me.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    umm yes. The NHL season is DONE!

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    After Dish won their dispute with LifeTime, DirecTV then complained to LifeTime and wanted the same deal Dish had fought to earn... Why didn't DirecTV fight to begin with? Because maybe they don't care?

OLN tried to cheat, Dish again fought it but DirecTV caved as usual... I applaud Dish in these kinds of efforts.

17. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    The local FOX station or Fox Sports Net will have the Red Wings games that are on OLN. Also people in Detroit can get the games on Channel 9 CBC.

18. mowingnut1

mowingnut1 Cool Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Dish keeps fighting these battles, ostensibly for the good of their customers, but have your rates dropped? Mine haven't. The package rates for both E* and D* are so close as to be identicle. All of this hard nosed dealing may help keep Charlie on the Forbes list, but it's his customers that have to suffer the loss of programming. Beyond the OLN issue; which channel will get yanked next due to "unfair pricing on the part of the broadcaster". We all subscribe to watch TV. When a provider denies expected and paid for programming, for what ever reason, they have broken their agreement with their customers. I have always been a fan of Dish. Many others have purchased systems based on my recommendation. As Dish grows,however, they become more and more like the cable system I dropped more than 10 years ago. If both satellite providers don't recognize this, there will no longer be a clear reason to choose sat over cable.

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It isn't so much about prices going down... but not going up as fast as they might. If Dish didn't fight these kinds of battles, then every channel would want the same kinds of increases every year, and then you'd see just how nasty our bills could become fast!

With regards to OLN in particular... I've seen more than one ESPN report again lately talking about the poor NHL ratings on TV this season, even when stadiums are supposedly getting high attendance... in large part due to the OLN exclusive contract and OLN not being available everywhere. So it isn't just a handful of folks on this forum or a few Dish executives that think OLN and the NHL is off to a bad start.

20. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Funny, Dish Network didn't mind renegotiating their contract with the NFL Network in the middle of the term, so they could receive the late season Thursday/Saturday package.