1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Way to Condone What He Did but..

Discussion in 'The OT' started by LarryFlowers, Dec 27, 2008.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    An angry theatergoer lost it in Philadelphia and shot the father of a family who apparently wouldn't shut up. The man has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons violations.

The man who was shot was hit in the arm and the injury is apparently not life threatening.

The shooter, returned to his seat to continue watching the movie after he shot the man and was arrested when the police arrived.

I can't condone what the guy did, but I have thought about various acts against rude inconsiderate jerks in theaters who can't or won't shut up. I have to really want to see a movie these days to go to the theater because people are so rude. Few people will go to the movie with me because I will not hesitate to stand and face a talker or a cell phone user in a theater and call them out on it. It costs way too much to go to the movies these days to put up with the inconsiderate.

2. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    So true larryflowers...i went to the movies about to weeks ago to see Twilight and at the very start of the movie some girls wouldnt be quiet so we had to call them out and yell at them to "shut up!" they wouldnt hush for anything...we were nice at first and told them to be quiet but they didnt listen. I dont go to the movies to have some one ruin it for me.

3. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    There are two places I absolutely forbid myself to take my cell phone: a theater and church. In fact, unless it's too cold to leave it, I do not even take my phone into church with me. I keep thinking if I do that God's gonna really teach me a lesson! :p

BTW, I once got so fed up with some teenagers and their phone behind me at the theater that I stood up and bitched them out. I got a round of applause from those seated around me. :)

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Concerts are another place where people go to do anything but watch the performers.

I boycott them for that reason and TICKETMaster! I hate paying 3x the ticket price with fees (including a fee for printing them MYSELF) and then find yourself near the back row to watch people talk, mill around and hear cell phone conversations!

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That's why I haven't been to the theater (or church) in 15 years.

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That's why I don't print them. I choose the free US Mail method. I'm not paying $2.50 or more just to print the tickets myself!

7. Old Tv Watcher

Old Tv Watcher Legend

Dec 22, 2007
    I haven't had this problem at the movies here. Maybe it's because I always go on a week-day afternoon along with the othe old farts that are retired.

8. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This is one of the main reasons we stopped going to movies. It drives me nuts to hear people talking during a movie. If we do go, we tend to go the earliest show possible as our chances to encounter such people greatly decrease.

Prior to getting married, I had no problems confronting such people but those days are gone. I do like the fact that some theaters have gone the extra mile and are jamming cell phones inside the auditoriums. Personally, I would like to see this technology adopted by more.

9. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I don't often encounter people talking in movies (and usually if someone talks, a couple of shhh's from the rest of the crown quiets them.

What annoys me is when the people behind me are constantly munching on popcorn, rustling candy bags, and noisily slurping soda. It seems that they always wait until a quiet dialog place in the movie, and their feeding frenzy drowns out the dialog.

10. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    That happned to me at a Dolly Parton concert in Little Rock a couple of years ago. I took it as long as I could, and finally during a lull in the performance, turned around and very loudly said "Will you please shut up!" The two females just looked at me, but when I turned around and sat down, I got a standing ovation from those within about four rows of us! (The friend I was with was mortified, however).

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Isn't it fun to mortify your friends... my family sits at least 4 or 5 rows away from me because they know what will happen. :lol::lol:

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007

13. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007

I'll remember that and look for you sitting off in a corner the next time I go to AMC Buckhead or Regal on the I-85 access road of Clairmont.

14. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    I would have dumped a bucket of popcorn on him followed by my diet coke

15. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007

Other way 'round - that way the popcorn will stick to him.

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The theater could use this to their advantage!!

Have a slide which reads, " Please turn off your cell phone and be quiet! Patrons may carry firearms and not afraid to use them!"

17. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    ROFL!! No more phone calls we DO have a winner!! :D:D:D