1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

No XM-Radio on AOL

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Old Tv Watcher, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Old Tv Watcher

Old Tv Watcher Legend

Dec 22, 2007
    I just found out that I can no longer listen to XM-Radio via AOL.

I enjoyed listening while browsing. I suppose this is a result of the merger?

2. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    No it is the result of AOL and XM discontinuing their agreement. AOL has decided to
    "go in a different direction," signing a deal with CBS Radio.

3. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    Essentially, it's a result of the increase in internet royalties levied by the federal government.

AOL wanted to insert ads into the XM streams to help raise revenues to pay the higher royalties being assessed.

XM refused -- ad-free streams and channels sorta being their big selling point -- and both parties decided it was time to end the joint agreement.

AOL hooked up with CBS in order not only to add extra channels to their service to help replace the departed XMs, but also so as to outsource the selling of ads on all AOL Radio channels (a function CBS Radio's in-house sales staff will be assuming).

XM's own lower-bitrate XMRO service remains available for XM subscribers, as well as to non-subscribers willing to pony up $7.95/mo. for the online-only service:

http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp

4. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    To bad. I listened to XM on AOL through my MacBook Pro and Airport Express into my AV system. :(

5. kbuente

kbuente Legend

Mar 25, 2007
    Can we still listen if connected online via a NON-AOL method?

6. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    I liked some of the xm music channels on AOL as well. I don't think I will get xm because Sirius has a better variety for me. Be interesting to see what AOL will offer. I found this on clear channels music format they have some good stations to listen if you like listening to music on line Max. http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab

7. Old Tv Watcher

Old Tv Watcher Legend

Dec 22, 2007
    Or pandora.com

8. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Also too you can listen to some good music at itunes.com Old Tv watcher-I tried Pandora and they stink. I don't like the setup or format.