1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise on my HR22

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by alejandrozalaquett, Jun 13, 2009.

1. alejandrozalaquett

alejandrozalaquett New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I have a Directv HD DVR model HR22 in my room and it has a permanent fan/hard drive noise, even when I turn it off. My wife can't sleep with it!

Please help!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As it never turns off, your only options are to move it to another room or to "muffle" it without impacting its ability to cool.

You may need to employ the receiver's radio frequency remote capabilities.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sometimes placing foam rubber pads under the DVR feet can help isolate the vibration and make things quieter. One of my HD DVRs is in our bedroom, and it's very very quiet. If yours seems really loud, then it might be defective.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I've had a fan go had in an HR20 unit so its not unheard of. I would keep close eye/ear on it and check the reported temps to make sure its not just vibration.

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    If it is that loud, then something is wrong with it. Call Directv and get a replacement.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    fwiw when my fan FINALLY went it actually smoked. luckily I was only a foot away when it happened and yanking power prevented anything else from happening.
    so moving it to other room to avoid hearing it is stupidest advice given here so far.

7. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    Good point. Fans make vibration noise that is barely discernable under the right conditions. If the underlying surface is capable of vibrating at the same frequency (the way a speaker works) your setup will be noisy. Put your finger under the unit (gently) lift slightly and let it rest. If the noise goes away, problem identified. If the noise is still there, definitely call D*.

8. Jul 2, 2009 #8 of 26
    conlin664

conlin664 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I always tune to a music channel when I turn off the box,
    to reduce the wear on the Hard drive.

But it would make sense for the DTV software to be smart enough
    to put the hard drive to sleep when its not using it and the box is OFF.

Honestly how often does it need to reload the guide data ?
    it could still do all that it does, but just spin down the drive,
    and then wake it if something happens.

My Mac can do that with the extra drives I have in it, so why not my DTV box. Which is ALWAYS ON, 24/7 even though I only have it record and or watch about 4 hours a day.

The noise is annoying at night in the bedroom.

and no my fan isn't blowing up or the hard drive.

DTV mix in a little green, and save some energy!

jc

9. Jul 2, 2009 #9 of 26
    jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Tuning to a music channel does nothing to reduce wear on the hard drive.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't believe this is even worth discussing. Just get a replacement, you have valid reasons for replacing it. It's not gonna get better and the simplest thing is just get a replacement. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a 23-700.

Belong to the Protection Plan?

Rich

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wouldn't you think the fan motor would have thermal protection? It's pretty hard to find a motor that doesn't. And the temperature sensor on the hard drive should have shut the whole thing off. When a motor starts smoking, it's usually got a locked rotor. Your experience is certainly worth discussing. you should start a thread on it. The TS just needs to get a replacement.

Rich

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    temp sensor on drive probably did not have time to react, I was right there when it happened and had power pulled within 5 seconds.
    would be surprised to find thermal protection on those fans but who knows.
    why risk it, replace it.

13. conlin664

conlin664 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    turning to the music channel doesn't put the drive to sleep.
    but it does stop recording.

and yes there is a difference between actually recording on a hard drive and merely having it at operating speed.

14. llarch

llarch Cool Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I have the same problem with the wife being annoyed by the normal fan and hard drive noise the DVR makes.

I was hoping by now some clever entrepreneur would have come out with an upgrade kit for the DTV DVRs to make them completely silent, for example, heat sinks to eliminate the need for the fan and an AV SSD to replace the standard hard disk. It wouldn’t be cheap, but I would buy it.

15. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Clever ideas. I'm afraid that it would take quite a heat sink, probably liquid cooled, to replace the fan. And SSD drives are still way too small for practical DVR uses.

16. llarch

llarch Cool Member

Aug 19, 2006
    It would take a big heat sink, but if it possible to do with a high-end HTC computer, with many times the power and heat of a DVR, then it is possible to do with a DVR.

As for SSD drives being too small, there are 512GB SSD drives available, which is bigger than the drive which comes with the DTV DVR, the big issue is cost. The other question about the SSD drives is how well suited are they to AV/DVR use, that would be interesting to test.

17. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    The big problem for SSD drives (besides cost) is the number of writes. Even with wear leveling SSD drives are going to wear out due to the constant writing of data due to buffering. Most (if not all) low cost SSD drives are made with MLC flash (multi-level cell) that are cheap but don't last as long as SLC (single-level cell). The MLC flash only have a 5-10K program/erase endurance factor compared to > 100K program/erase endurance factor. Wear leveling only goes so far and not all wear leveling algorithms are created equal. YMMV is a giving with SSD.

Power savings would be noticeable as well as cooling issues.

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    a quality bearing (not bushing) fan would make a difference I think.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm not convinced that you would really "notice" a 2-5 watt savings; especially if you need to RAID the SSDs to get equivalent storage. Certainly not at the price penalty that currently exists.

20. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you could always try it on your units and let us know. 2-5 multiplied by 3 or more might be noticeable over a year.