1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

noisey

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dobok, Apr 19, 2013.

1. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    I have a hr22 in my daughters bedroom and I noticed today when I walked in her room that her receiver is making noise. Is this the harddrive doing this and does it mean that it is going bad. If anyone else out there has had problems of this nature how long before it really goes !!!Thanks Dobok

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    There are only two moving parts in the DVR .... hard drive and cooling fan. Sometimes putting small foam rubber pads under the DVR's feet can help isolate vibration-induced noise. Otherwise, if it's truly annoying, you'll need to replace the DVR.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Dump the 22 and get a 24 and you'll have no sound issues.

Rich

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That would be a good idea if there was an "easy" way to get it done. We know that DirecTV does not guarantees receiver model numbers

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I can't imagine a more misleading or less helpful statement. That implies that it is particular models that have noise issues, when as has been pointed out, all models have the two things that can get noisy, which are the HDD and the cooling fan, and there is no correlation between either of those and model numbers, at least certainly not strict correlation.

I have seen this complaint regarding probably every model available, including the HR20 and the HR21, of which I have had 8 different versions of with absolutely never a noise problem.

The only conclusion to be drawn is that if a model develops noise, that it is likely that the HDD or the fan is on borrowed time, and there really is only one way to solve that problem, short of adding an external drive (which will neither solve the noise problem nor determine the cause).

Call it in, get it replaced. Try to watch what you can and not record if possible; move what you can to a 16x9 DVDR if you like. Move on.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on!

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just what I said. It just took you longer to get to the point.

Rich

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OT: why and who tagged the thread with "L740" tag? After clicking on the tag it directing to dish SW thread about L740 version. Duh !

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just out of curiosity, what made you infer that I meant that?