1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOMAD - please confirm

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lgb0250, Feb 16, 2012.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Tried to read as much as I could about this but after awhile it just seems to bounce off my thick head.

We're going to be on the road for about 30 days starting next month and I was thinking about getting the nomad. The problem is from what I gather, we would have to load the programs before we leave and wouldn't get any new shows until we return home! Is that correct?

If that's correct, will the eventual "everywhere" possibly be a better choice. As always, thanks for the great info given by the board members here.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yes you would have to load the shows before you left, the nomad only works while on your home network. There is currently no streaming capability.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    That's currently the situation. One thing about the nomad that won't be "cured" when we get "TV everywhere" is its ability to function without WiFi. So you can be on a mountain top or a deep isolated valley and still watch movies or shows.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And shows do expire 30 days after downloading - even though they are still available on nomad and the DVR. They just require another download - meaning being on your home network.

But as LAXGuy said above, I've also had better luck with nomad while traveling than streaming solutions with the wacky, low-bandwith wifi available at a lot of places.

5. BoostedBlazer

BoostedBlazer Cool Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Yep, you got it. It's currently supported on the Iphone, and PC computers. You can do it on the Ipad if you download the Iphone app and expand it to fit the screen, works pretty well acutally. It takes about the length of the show to convert it on the NOMAD as well. I.E. if you want to take a 2 hour movie it will take about 2 hours to convert. They haven't gotten it working for Macbook or Android devices yet but I wouldn't anticpate those being too far behind.

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks for the answers everyone.

Looks like nomad won't be what I was looking for. Was looking for some way for the wife to keep up with all her shows while on vacation without having to be tethered to the TV to do so. Again, thanks for the great responses.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It sound like Slingbox is what you would like to have but it requires having WiFi or an Internet Connection.

8. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    There are other streaming options available now. Slingbox,etc.. I would look into one of those if you want to watch tv on a device other than a TV.

9. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Again, thanks guys.

Slingbox indeed may be the way for me to go. Quick question please.

Can you watch it on a tv wherever you are on the road or does it need to be an internet capable device, i.e., laptop, iphone, etc? Thanks again.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can watch it on a Display Device such as a PC or Smartphone as long as you have an Internet Connection. If your PC, Laptop has an Audio/Video Output Port then you could connect it to a TV and watch it that way.

My Asus Transformer Prime Tablet has an HDMI Output Port so I can attach an HDMI Cable to it and to the TV and watch HD from my Tablet using Nomad or Slingbox.

The reason I have 2 Slingboxes I am Not using is that it requires a very good Bitrate to avoid Pixellation and Macro Blocking and unless you have an Unlimited Data Plan it can get very Expensive or cause you to be Throttled back by your Provider.

AT&T just announced that they are aggressively pursuing bandwidth abusers who use more than their fair share of bandwidth even though they are technically in an "Unlimited Data Plan" but read the fine print and you will see that they can throttle you back if you use more than your "Fair Share" which is defined by them.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The device you are viewing the content with must have the content stored in the device. In the somewhat rare case that your device will drive a TV, it will work if you can make the connection. If you're staying in a hotel room, I'd bet against it.

12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    You guys rock.

When we travel we usually stay at places that have free wifi.

One last question, I promise! LOL.

The way I'm reading the info on these is that they are not wifi but require an ethernet connection, is that correct! My router is upstairs and all my DVR's are downstairs so if they are not wifi capable I guess I would have to pop for the adapter also. Thanks.

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    With Slingbox you have to hook it up to your Directv DVR and also hook up an Ethernet Cable or have it connect wirelessly to your Router.

It then will connect to your PC or Laptop or IPhone via the Internet and you can then control your DVR via Slingbox so you can change channels or watch Playlist Recordings.

Nomad at this time only Allows you to View Content you Downloaded to Nomad and then Offloaded to your Mobile Device, Laptop, Smartphone, etc.

But you can not view daily stuff only recorded/transferred recordings, no WiFi or Internet Connection needed.

14. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    I lied Rich!! LOL.

One more please. What type of wifi connection would I use in my case? Would it be something like the Slingbox Turbo or the wireless ethernet bridge or gaming adapter?

As you can tell I'm a little tech challenged and would appreciate any models that might work best. Thanks again.

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Once you have connected Slingbox Pro HD (which is one of the Products I use) to your DVR and also connected to your Router via an Ethernet Cable then you have Software that you download to your Laptop PC or IPhone which has to be connected to the Internet via Ethernet to a Router (I use a Verizon WiFi Hub) in your RV or Hotel Room.

You can then view and control your DVR in your Home using the Slingbox Software on your Laptop, IPhone, Droid, etc. to communicate with your Slingbox in your Home via the Internet.

16. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    I don't have an ethernet connections available from my router to my DVR. It would have to be wifi.

I have the WHDVR setup with an H23 close to the router. I thought about hooking it's ethernet connection directly to the router but then I realized it's hooked into the DECA.

How would I address the lack of an ethernet connection would I use to get an HD Pro working correctly? Thanks.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    A Slingbox HD Pro (I have a brand new one for sale at a cheap price so PM me if interested) can also connect Wirelessly if Ethenet is not possible.