1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Nomad Price

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MEY54, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1 of 39
    MEY54

MEY54 New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Was with Directv for 15 years left for 4 and now I am back. Does Directv ever run a special price for the Nomad or are they flexible ?

Thanks.

2. Feb 2, 2013 #2 of 39
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I don't believe I've ever seen any special pricing on the Nomad.

3. Feb 2, 2013 #3 of 39
    MEY54

MEY54 New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks

4. Feb 2, 2013 #4 of 39
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome back! You could phone and see if there might be anything on offer there, but I've also not seen any adverts regarding that.

5. Feb 2, 2013 #5 of 39
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Welcome back.

No Special Deals on the Nomad but it is well worth $150 in my opinion!!! :D

6. Feb 2, 2013 #6 of 39
    Sully

Sully AllStar

Dec 5, 2005
    Decorah, IA
    I agree...the Nomad is awesome. Especially after the latest update.

7. Feb 2, 2013 #7 of 39
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Especially for the Business Traveler or someone like me who travels to Hawaii every year for a vacation or to Europe. That is a Long Flight so it is very nice to be able to watch what you want when you want to watch it. :)

8. Feb 3, 2013 #8 of 39
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Just have to rub it in to the rest of us just kidding LOL :)

9. Feb 3, 2013 #9 of 39
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Not meaning to demean anyone but just saying it is Great on a Long Flight (particularly when Delta has problems booting up their own DVD System) and I am happily watching My Recordings on Nomad Watching What I Want When I Want To Watch It once we are at 36,000 feet. :D

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    The nomad product had been $99 until the recent price increase online to $149. You may want to see how you can "negotiate" the price down.

As for the value of nomad - if you are a traveler with any regularity, or don't want to be tied down to unpredictable Internet access speeds outside the home - nomad gives you the freedom to watch any recorded content where and when you want with any dependency on Internet connectivity at all.

I use it regularly and appreciate having it.

11. bond111

bond111 Cool Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Was just on the phone regarding this as I had this show up on my account. Called them because it wouldn't let me add it, and they said it must be a "glitch" online, and that it's $150 for it, but is "free" service. Kinda pissed me off. It won't even let me add the nomad under "accessories" section either.

[​IMG]

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't believe you can transfer PPV or VOD content from your DVR to a nomad.

13. gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Is the nomad covered by the protection plan?

14. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    I know you can not with VOD. I have 2 VOD things on my DVR right now. When in the Nomad app, Those 2 things do not show up.

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Amen Brother Ben!!! You are Right On or as they say Spot On!!! I just Love my Nomad and it keeps getting better and better like a Fine Old Wine!!! :lol:

16. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    I think with tax and shipping, I paid $170 for the Nomad? Mighty spendy little item.

If they'd come out with an iPad optimized version of the app, I'd get a lot more use out of it with the recent update. I lay on my bed a couple times a week and watch a show through my Slingbox on my iPad. I think the experience would be better with Nomad. Skipping commercials for sure will be easier.

I know people say the current app works fine on the iPad, but I think the video playback looks like poo. Blowing up the little iPhone thing 2x does not make for a good image.

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's the same file / resolution whether it iPhone / iPad / PC Client. It looks as good on the iPad as any other video - Netflix, HBO-Go, Showtime, Watch ESPN, etc.

18. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    Am I playing it wrong on my iPad then? It is in the little iPhone display in the center. I hit the 2x button and it blows up, almost filling the screen. I play the video and it looks like crap.

I have played Nomad on my laptop and through my laptop to a 42" HDTV. Looked good in both places and looks great on my iPhone.

Doubling up the iPhone version on my iPad looks awful.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The text is dreadful, but the screen is all right for the actual video. YMMV.

20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've never had the reaction of 'awful' or 'crap' from anyone that has viewed nomad video or DAFI streaming. Like I said in the post above, it looks as good as any Netflix or HBO-Go.

Of the ones I listed, probably Watch ESPN may show more blocking from action and streaming.

We watch several hours a day on the iPad - wife uses it in the kitchen or her office while working. I've attached a picture and invite you to point out the part that looks awful?

photo.PNG