1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad require internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mashandhogan, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Does NOMAD require an internet connection? I have Hughes and the receivers do not always detect there is a internet connection.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, nomad must see the other receivers on your home network.

3. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    I have Wildblue and it works fine, would assume Hughes is similar, have the same issue you do with receivers losing the internet connection at times.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    After an initial setup, nomad doesn't require an internet connection per se, but it must be able to see the DVRs in order to be able to start transcoding, and then the home LAN must be solid for the transfer of the bits from nomad to your iDevice or PC. (more clients coming).

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have HughesNet and just set up my Nomad last night. It appears to work fine so far. I did have an issue with activating my iPhone the first time I tried. I think my internet was too slow and it timed out when trying to activate the device, but the second time I tried it worked fine. I transcoded and transferred over a few shows last night, but haven't had a chance to watch anything yet. Didn't get a chance to set it up on my wife's phone or iPad yet either.

6. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    thanks guys!

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Nomad does need an internet connection though not all the time. It has to periodically connect to internet to verify your account. Other than that it's not needed for everyday use.

Mike

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    EXACTLY!!!

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And what does the internet have to do with that?

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It needs the internet to confirm your DIRECTV account status.