1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nomad with iOS Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by islesfan, Dec 6, 2012.

1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I just ordered a Nomad, and I was wondering, will I have to leave the Nomad App open and running to transfer shows, or do I select the program and it transfers in the background? I know that many iOS apps are prevented from working in the background, and/or are killed after 10 minutes in the background. I am not looking forward to the notion of staring at my iPhone while it transcodes and transfers the program to it.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The app does need to be open to do the actual transfer from nomad to your IOS device, but for a 30 minute program it take me only a couple minutes. The transcoding process, which is close to 1 to 1 ratio, happens in nomad, once you select the programs to be transcoded you can close the app and then start it back up later to do the transfers.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You may want to add a USB memory stick to nomad (it does add to the internal 16Gb).

You can also set up a series link to Auto and those programs will be available to download without additional intervention.

I typically select the programs I want to carry with us, turn off the iPad and when they're ready, the next time you run it, the client reminds you they're ready for download.

4. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Oh, the client reminds you with a push notification? That's cool! For my purposes, I think I'll be ok with the 16GB storage. I don't need to offlload all that much. I just want to transfer Islanders games (if we ever get hockey again) and any nationally televised Nets games (since I get the non-nationally televised ones via NBA League Pass Mobile). I also only have a 1GB USB stick and a 3TB external drive. One's too little, the other mega overkill!