1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-HD Movie Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dam006, Dec 20, 2009.

1. dam006

dam006 Mentor

Aug 22, 2008
    Wouldn't it be better if the movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc.) that are not broadcast in HD would be much more tolerable to watch if they were broadcast in letterbox format?

Currently when watching them on an HDTV you have the choice of watching them in pillarbox format which wastes so much screen space or watching the program in stretch format which gives everyone a strange Stewie Griffin head.

2. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    "Better" is in the eye of the beholder... The vast majority of folks (not me!) don't like letterboxed movies - they don't like the thought that they're not using all of their screen.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Fox Movie Channel has a LOT of wide screen movies in letterbox

4. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Many years ago my first wife always complained about letterbox. She was sure that they cut off the top and bottom of the picture. I couldn't convince her that the full screen version had the sides cut off and that the letterbox showed the entire picture.

5. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    So does TCM

6. dam006

dam006 Mentor

Aug 22, 2008
    Exactly! Why can't the non-HD HBO channels do what TCM does? Then just use the zoom feature and whammo, 16:9 movie, unaltered.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would suspect that this is because if the viewer wanted widescreen format, they would subscribe to the HD channels. HBO and Cinemax offer all of their channels in HD.

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You cannot "zoom" a 4x3 movie without altering it...

9. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    What the other poster meant was if TCM showed, in SD, a letterboxed movie, the zoom feature on the TV would crop out the black bars and fill the screen with the movie.

The PQ takes a hit, but it's a compromise until we get more HD channels.

Unfortunately, we can't get many HD channels to show proper aspect ratio (stretching SD content to fill the screen and screwing up the picture), so I doubt there's any hope in getting SD viewers to tolerate the letterboxing of movies. :(

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Most of the Hd movie channels crop movies so they fit your 16:9 HD screen now, instead of letterboxing the 2.35:1 movie in OAR, because they think that's what the customers want (they heard a lot of complaints like "I pay extra for HBO in HD, why isn't it filling my HD screen?").

I think you'll have a hard time getting those channels to begin putting up with all the complaints from people watching the SD channels suddenly seeing black bars all the time.

11. grizbear

grizbear AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    Not in DirectvLand...

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I can't stand cropped & streched. So I don't watch SD.

13. spaul

spaul Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    All movies should be in their original aspect ratio and not compromised.Just check out HD NET Movies they do it right I,even noticed same on Showtime on some of the movies.All I know is don,t change however it was shot originally.hopefully we will get more HD Movie channels especially exspanding HBO & Cinemax poultry offerings on Directv .I, have 3 HD tvs and all are set to watch HD 99%of time and the 1% of time that I might watch sd it,s set to pillar box .