1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

non Hd signal on HD box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HDTAXMAN, Mar 16, 2009.

1. HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN AllStar

Mar 6, 2007
    Quick question:

I posted last week about moving a dish for new roof install, etc. and appreciate the help with that..That part is taken care of but if I don't take care of the following, my wife will take the D*TV dish I remove and put it somewhere where the satellites don't see it and the sun don't shine either:eek2: god forbid she misses American Idol:nono:

I have a portable slimline dish with a single LNB that I use for the RV..Can I run a cable from this one setup on back deck to the TV and still get a picture? normally, in RV, no HD TV and box is a standard box but in this case, running a line about 40 feet from a single LNB to an HD receiver..I assume I can get a picture, just HD quality..assuming since it is not HD quality signal that I do not need the BBC converter attached for this situation either.

Thanks for any comments

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    To clarify: Can you point a single LNB at either the 103 or 99 sat and get a signal?

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Wouldn't he have to hit 101 for guide data?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What is a single LNB Slimline?
    Isn't this a Slimline 3 with a 99/101/103 LNB?

5. HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN AllStar

Mar 6, 2007
    I apologize..my terminology may be wrong..on my portable dish, I have a single white plastic thingamabob and on my HD receiver, I have three white thingamabobs pointing at the dish..I do know the one attached to the house for my HD is a slimline..however, it may be that my portable one is not a slimline, but that aside, it is no more than approx. 3x2 or therabouts. The portable dish works fine with the standard receiver.

What about a simplistic approach..I setup the portable in backyard, wire to a standard receiver and hook the standard receiver up to my HD TV. It may not be HD, but I should at least get a picture I can watch..it's only for two days..All I use to point the portable dish is a compass and whatever settings the D*TV setup tells me to use..

Something tells me this should work..rahter than woorying about hooking into the HD receiver and any related issues with that..I got 4 of the standard receivers for other tV's and one is not used much anyway..

Thanks for comments to this point..

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You will NOT be able to get HD signals on a basic dish. You will be able to get the SD signals, though, so you'll be able to watch the show; it just won't be in HD.

You MUST have a Slimline dish, with its custom LNB, to get signals from 99 or 103.

7. HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN AllStar

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks..that is what I thought..I'll sacrifice HD for the sake of allowing the wife to get her Idol fix..

thanks much fellas..