1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-HDTV programming on a HDTV OTA channel

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by rathergood, Apr 27, 2005.

1. rathergood

rathergood Mentor

Jul 29, 2003
    Can someone please tell me what is shown on a HD OTA channel when HD programming isn't airing? Does the network pass the analog feed thru, is it just a blank screen, or does the network broadcast SD programming in digital? If it's in digital, how's the video quality?

Thanks

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    SD programming in digital, most of the time upconverted to the resolution at which the station broadcasts. There are exceptions to this, but that's the norm. The picture quality is usually pretty good.

3. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    There are no HD OTA channels, only digital channels with some HD programming. I've found that the digital signal is much sharper than the analog equivalent whether by OTA, cable or satellite.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Depends on your local affiliates. Around here, for instance... we have channels that broadcast multiple digital channels, as subchannels.

So, on 50.1 they will be showing SD that is upconverted to HD broadcast in 16:9 with built-in black or grey bars when they don't have an HD feed available for the program... and on 50.2 they will be broadcasting digital SD in 4:3 and you get to decide about bars vs stretching.

We have one channel where it is always HD, they upconvert everything... and I have one straggler channel still (UPN) that always broadcasts SD 4:3 even when there is HD available.