1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-responsive HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by firedog1, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firedog1

firedog1 Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    Hello

I turned on the TV and HR20-700 this morning and the HR20 would not respond to the remote, just a black screen. I was unable to turn the HR20 off manually on the box itself.

My question, what is the proper protocol to reset the HR20 with minimal disruption? I have several unviewed programs and settings that I do not want to lose, if possible.

The slimline dish and HR20 were installed 11 March, with all new RG6 cables. I am running the current software version that automatically updated a few days ago.

Thank you

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Hit the RESET button (on the front).
    If that doesn't work.

Pull the power plug from the back.

3. BillN96

BillN96 Mentor

Mar 30, 2007
    And leave it unplugged for about a minute before plugging it back in.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you're going to unplug it: do it for 5 to 10 min. There is a hard drive that wants to come to a complete stop before powering back up.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Same thing happened to me this morning on the HR-20 that received the national release through the auto download. Turned it on & nothing. one RBR later..fine.

6. firedog1

firedog1 Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    The RBR did the trick. Thank you very much for all of the speedy replies.

I did a system test after the RBR and TUNER 1 says OK, acquired at 0%, TUNER 2 says OK, acquired at 98%.

Prior to the RBR, the last time I ran a system test, both tuners had 90% + signals. Any ideas on what the problem may be with TUNER 1?

Ox145 was updated this morning at 1:41 AM.

Thank you

7. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There probably isn't.

The System Test often runs faster then the systems doing the work underneath.

If you run the test again later on.. you will probably find that it comes back with a value.

But to be sure...just go into the signal test screen, and specifically look at tuner #1

8. firedog1

firedog1 Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks for the reply Earl.

I did check signal strength on both tuners. Tuners 1 and 2 show signals from the mids 80s-mid 90s. I'll try running a system test later to see if tuner 1 shows up.

9. solo1026

solo1026 Legend

Mar 21, 2006
    I have the same problem a few weeks ago. I downloaded an upgrade and when it was done I lost one of my tuners. I try rebooting and it didn't work so I re did the upgrade. Downloaded reinstall the software and that did it! I had my tuners back. I would give it a try.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When I first turned one of my HR20's on this morning I had a black screen. But I simply changed channels and it started working properly. This one was connected by component. The other HR20 (connected by HDMI) had no problem at all. Both got the s/w update.

Carl

11. firedog1

firedog1 Legend

Mar 19, 2007

I just checked and the same issue is occurring. TUNER 1 says, OK acquired at 0%, TUNER 2 says, OK acquired at 97%. Signal strengths on both TUNER 1 and 2 are between the mid-80s and mid-90s.

My concern is that if I am going to record one program and watch another or record two at the same time, I may not be able to do it if TUNER 1 is truly not working.

How do I download and reinstall the software you mention? Are there other options to exercise first? Should I try another RBR first?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    To re-install: do a RBR, as the blue circles start to spin..then press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. You should see "new software found" and it should be 0145. If you get to "1 of 2" without the software download...repeat the RBR and do it again.

13. firedog1

firedog1 Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks for the reply VOS.

I followed the steps you outlined above and everything worked great! I now have both TUNER 1 and 2 showing signals in the high 90s.

Typically, is the signal % different on each tuner? I have TUNER 1, OK acquired at 98%, TUNER 2, OK acquired at 95%.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    95=98 as it samples, & isn't that important anyway, since it's bit error not signal strength. :)
    70 % would...

15. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Is anyone else have trouble with the format button it seems Nesn which is 1080i always shows up as 720p now on 1 of my boxes so I have to hit the button on the box to move it. I have tried the rbr but that didn't work. This is the only channel that is doing this.

16. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Is your NESN one of the MPEG4 RSN's? If so, there is a known issue with the HR20 reporting the wrong res on MPEG4 channels. The output is actually correct (your TV should be able to confirm this). It's just a problem with the blue lights.

If it's MPEG 2, then ????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.