1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob question about satellite TV

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by ithcy, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ithcy

ithcy New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I tried searching the forums, but it's hard to find appropriate search terms.

I live in the Tampa, FL area. I am not currently subscribed to any satellite TV service nor do I own any equipment. I would like to know if it's possible for me to receive either KIKU TV Honolulu or NTV Japan, with either DirecTV or Dish or any other satellite network.

I think KIKU is carried by DirecTV as a local channel in Hawaii. If I subscribe to DirecTV, can I receive local channels from other markets? Alternately, is it possible to point my dish at the NTV satellite and receive broadcasts from it?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I have absolutely no experience with satellite TV.

2. Bijou Media

Bijou Media Mentor

Jul 28, 2007
    KIKU is probably not available since it is a Local channel in the US, as for Nippon TV
    no luck.

Dish Net has NHK and that is it for Japanese programming. It's possible it is broadcast by IPTV but I'm not sure who carries it
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_on_dish/international/Japanese/packages.aspx

If some local dealers would like to chime in here I suggest you go with them for a better experience.

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, ithcy! :welcome_s

At this point, local TV stations are not permitted to be sold outside their local markets, mostly by FCC rules, IIRC.

I don't see anything about Japanese language channels on DIRECTV.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  5. ithcy

ithcy New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks to everybody for the helpful replies. Before I give up and move to Hawaii, i should ask: does FTA mean "from the air" or something similar? Also, would a C-Band dish (whatever that is) be compatible with the DirecTV or Dish networks?

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    FTA is Free To Air.

A long time ago, one could use a C/Ku Band dish with DIRECTV, but at this point it would be a big pain to do so. The 5lnb dishes are so inexpensive (usually free), most people just use multiple dishes to have both FTA and DIRECTV.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.