1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

normal for slimline dish to shake?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gregftlaud, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    is it normal for the slimline 5lnb to shake a bit with winds of 15-20 mph? had it installed yesterday. my neighbor's doesnt shake at all. his has one more spot where it is secured. the installer was suppose to do it just like his but by the time he left after a 5hr install it was dark and i couldnt see exactly how he did it. perhaps i need a service call to have the dish secured better?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    How many monopoles are included? There should be at lest two. It shouldn't shake if installed properly.

3. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Shake?

You mean it's visibly shaking? :eek:

Not normal, or good, big time!

4. strack

strack Mentor

Nov 23, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    There should be at least two monopole's. Mine has two and it hasn't moved at all with the winds the past few days.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Was post #2 unclear?

6. vertigo235

vertigo235 Godfather

Mar 18, 2007
    Make sure you have at least 2 monopoles, 1 monopole may allow some shaking.

If possible install more than 2 monopoles.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Suggested now for the third time.

8. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    BTW, make sure there are two monopoles attached!

:D

9. rminsk

rminsk Legend

Dec 4, 2006
    As long as you have two monopoles you should be ok ;)

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You guys are going to drive me to drink.

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Hey bro, make sure those 2 monopoles attached!! :D

12. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    what are monopoles? are those the braces that attach to the roof??

my setup is very difficult to explain so here it goes:

i live on the 2nd floor of an apt complex. we have to have our dishes installed on the back of our building.

our roofs have about 3feet of overhang. the overhang has a side on it of about 10 inches from top to bottom.

ok. the installer put up a wall mount near the top of the wall beneath the overhang. then he ran a pole straight out from the wall mount to where the overhang ends and attached the mount at the end of that pole for the dish. he attached the dish there and then put a brace from the dish to the roof.

now...what he didnt do that my neighbor has.......where that wall mount poles jets out to the end of the side of the overhang......my neighbors installer not only attached the dish to the mount at the end of the pole coming from the wall mount, but he also fastened where the dish is mounted to the side of the over hang. . so basically he has a wall mount fastened into the cement wall. then the mount for the dish at the end of the pole coming straight out from the wall mount is all fastened to the side of the overhang. and then he also has the brace for the roof.

so he has 3 places where the dish is secure. my wall mount pole just comes straight out from the wall.....and the end piece for that where the dish is mounted is about 1 inch underneath the overhang. he was supposed to fasten that part to the side of the overhang too. that is the difference.

i know this sounds greek. and sorry for taking so long to get back to u.

13. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    bump

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, the monopoles are the braces. Of which, I am sure you can tell, you should have at least two. If not, call D* and get them back out to correct the installation.

15. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    i posted a pic up above. it's crude

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No reason to bump. We read further down than the top few threads. All good answers come to those who wait. ;)

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    So crude I have no idea what's going on with your install. Sorry.

18. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    How about some real pictures?

19. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    i added a couple of captions to tell what more of the parts. well.......cant take a pic it's dark outside

20. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    As one who installs both Dish and DirecTV, I've got to tell all here that those monopoles are wimpy and less than adequate for the job.

Unfortunately, DirecTV contractors have access only to monopoles and are REQUIRED to use them.

I have a sizeable supply of Dish Network SuperDish dual braces. They fit either the 2-3/8 inches actual pole and have a plastic bushing to fit the 2 inch actual pole used in the AT9 and AU9.

When used with the DirecTV KA/KU pole, the SuperDish braces are super strong and makes a rock solid brace.

I'd check with your local Dish Network dealer, who may have s left over supply of these braces. You won't be sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.