1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal now like Gray Bar

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Buffalo Bill, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill AllStar

Apr 5, 2006
    Okay, this is odd and I wanted to see if anyone had encountered this. I installed a DPP44 switch yesterday (thank you to all who helped with the configuration) and everything works great. However, one thing that changed is that on my main TV, a Samsung DLP, what used to be black bars in "normal mode" are now gray bars just like the "gray bar" option using the format button. This isn't going to cause me to lose sleep, but it is still sort of weird and I would prefer to have the black bars on either side as they are less conspicuous. I have changed formats with the remote and nothing will change the gray to black. Nothing else really changed as far as set up. The DPP44 replaced two DP34's that also had a couple of diplexers attached. I now have four outs and using two separators at the 622 and the 942 receivers. The other two outs are to a couple of very old 311 receivers.

Any ideas?? Thank you

2. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    SD? HD? some "hd" programs are actually 4x3 and broadcast with GRAY bar.

3. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill AllStar

Apr 5, 2006
    This happens during a SD program where I expect to have the side bars. As I have been channel surfing I found what you said in that sometimes the sides are gray, others black. I might be crazy, but I thought they were always black before the switch installation, but that doesn't make any sense either.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If the station is broadcasting sd content on their HD channel, they can make the bars black or grey, or whatever. ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD use a striped sidebar for SD content on the HD channel.

5. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The question is what is the source of program? Is it off sat or over the air? If it is over the air you may be seeing a station that thinks the gray is better and so no matter what you do it won't change. An example Our local NBC station uses gray bars now. When I had the 942 for a while they used blue bars. So if they are broadcasting an upconverted SD 4X3 show to HD 16x9 THEY are choosing the color of the side bars. If it is a pattern wheter it be OTA or sat then they will be in control of this pattern as it has been stated about ESPN when showing a 4x3 pix on a 16X9 screen.

6. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Did you readjust the DLP settings? You may wish to check the video settings of your DLP to ensure that you don't have it's Gray Bars turned to ON.

7. Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill AllStar

Apr 5, 2006
    Okay, after messing around with this some more, I think I have discovered that I am experiencing exactly what you guys are telling me in that some stations have the black side bars while others it is gray, others have their own thing. I think I just overthink this stuff most of the time. Thank you for the advice, etc.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.