1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Always Greener

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rduce, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    Last night my local CBS affiliate (WWMT) began running a scrawl warning viewers that they expect to be removed from the DirectTV lineup come March 1 and urging viewers to contact Direct to complain.

For all the haters that feel this sort of thing does not happen with Direct I guess you are wrong and I expect it to become more commonplace as contracts expire. Just remember the next time you think that one provider is better than the next, none are perfect and each has there unique set of quirks.

2. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    It's happening to the local affiliate CBS-KUTV. They are showing that on March 1, Directv will no longer be airing that network.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Regarding local channel coverage, it wasn't that long ago I finally realized D* and E* pay the local channels $$$ to carry their signals instead of the other way around.

My reasoning was the satellite service increase the viewership and the station's can charge more for ads, and since that is a good thing, and the satellite companies know this, the locals had to pay.

When I found out it was the other way around, I was quite surprised.

Wonder what the NAB would think if Congress started making it a legal reality for the locals to pay to be on the satellite??

:eek2:

As for these snags with the locals being pulled, I don't know that anyone has ever posted it never happens on D*, just that it is more likely for E* to have that issue.

4. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The difference is, it is 95% likely these channels never leave Directv. DISH on the other hand would be 50-50.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    In the past, your percentage is probably correct. But as people are getting more and more sensitive to price increases, the sat/cable companies are getting more contentious in order to drive a harder bargain.

Expect to see more droppings, not less. And while D* may still drop less than E* in these battles, it will still be more than in the past imo.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Even a DISH sub like yourself will have to admit when it comes to carriage disbutes DirecTV has a far better record of resolving them than DISH. Given that the grass is greener. ;)

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    For me CBS, NBC & ABC can all go away -National and local- I bet the price for dish or D* wouldn't reflect that change in cost to users.

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Money is the drive to anything, so it's not surprising to anyone here on this forum, The problem is there is a lot of people out there that don't know about these contracts(which is confusing and misleading even if they explain it) which nobody cares anyway as long as they can see their channel, But these removals have to stop when there are negotiations taking place, Should it there be a regulation about these tactic and increases from content owners(unless it's within reasonable means)? In the end they're hurting the consumers.

9. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Not sure, but by the post it appears Rduce is a direct sub?

If the locals go away, won't that affect some features of the hopper? [ commercial skip] that seems to be a big deal now?

For those who can, a outside antenna should future proof your [local]channels.

I have to agree with WestDC, not alot [ for me, anyway ] on locals except PBS, news, and two programs I am currently following, but can get these elsewhere, if I had to, but I've got an outdoor antenna which works just fine.

10. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    No, I am not. I have a single 922 controlling my only 2 televisions and am very happy with my set up and what I pay. I looked into Direct and they could not even come close to the price I am currently paying even with their promos.

Besides I have an OTA on my roof and I watch perhaps 3 hours of local network broadcast a week, don't really care if they drop any or all of them.

11. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Yeah, Dish dropped the ball on AMC, a barely-watched 4-channel network. DirecTV was without Viacom, a very popular set of 17 channels, for how long?

There was that whole BTN problem this fall, and it resulting in missing exactly 1 week of football...

Dish has been doing a good job resolving disputes of late. I'm not saying they don't have them, but they've done a good job with them.

DirecTV's official position had been to just fork over the cash, no matter how egregious the demands, until recently when even they began to see the increases as prohibitive. Thus, DirecTV has always been more expensive than Dish. The thinking at DirecTV went: customers want their channels and they're willing to pay whatever it takes. Dish's thinking is that customers want to save money, and they'll suffer some minor inconveniences along the way in order to do so.