1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not happy with my one day dish hda experience.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by agus, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agus

agus New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Hi guys I am new here and just switched from Cable to Dish Sat...
    I thought I was going to be very happy with the sat but other than the picture is brighter and sound is better, the sat doesnt deliver any farther than that...

My main concern is that everytime i change channel I will have to wait for about 3 seconds for the picture to show up.... this is even worse than cable... Anyway the sat was just installed yesterday, is there anything I can do about this? (I am a DHA customer with the 522 receiver).

Also regarding the signal... Does it matter if I change the sat to 119 or 110 just to get better signal? I mean does it matter to do this on both my tvs?
    Sometime it takes very long for the system to find the signal.... and when it does they get as high as 80 to 95... is this good? Anyway to lock the signal manually? or the system locks automatically everytime?

I hope anyone of you can help me.

Many thanks,
    Agus

2. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Satellite will take a little longer to change channels that is the nature of the beast, you will get used to that. If you want to channel serf, one way is to use your brouse button which will give you a see through banner on both the top and bottom of the screen, and you can surf by scrolling through the top banner to see wats on the differant channels or push the brouse butten a 2nd time to see what is coming on next or you can use your electronic program guide which has PIP and you can view whats on and coming on several channels at once while watching a channel in the PIP window. Since you have a DVR eventually you may not watch live programing much or not at all once you get playing with the DVR functions and record a bunch of stuff.

You do not change the satellite from 110 to 119, this is done automatically for both outputs depending on which of these satellites a particular channel is on. Just sit back play with the remote, record some shows and enjoy, give it some time to get used to it and I think you will find satellite much more enjoyable then cable. :)

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    :welcome_s
    Professionally installed or did you call the dish 800 number?

Those numbers are a bit low. I'd want at least 100 and get around 110-115 on most transponders. Perhaps the dish isn't focused in correctly? Or are their trees in the direction it is pointing? Unless you are in some odd place, you should be able to get the numbers up.

The receiver takes care of picking between 119 and 110, so you don't have to worry about that (unless your installer gave you an excellent signal on one and less on the other - the signal strengths should be about equal).

Note that strong signals really only help you KEEP the signal. Low signals will cause the picture to break up. Average signal gives you the same picture as 125 signal strength - but where you get the bonus is in the deep thunderstorms and heavy cloud cover. My "110" strength will drop to "85" during the worst storms --- and I'll still get a picture ... with possibly a drop out or two. If I started at 85 I'd lose signal a lot quicker. That's the reason to get the numbers up as high as possible.

Good luck with your system!

JL

4. Jul 1, 2004 #4 of 14
    agus

agus New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    thank you guys... anyway u guys know where can i find another good sat services with more of international programming? I found lyngsat.... any idea about them?

5. Jul 2, 2004 #5 of 14
    Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
  6. Jul 2, 2004 #6 of 14
  7. Jul 2, 2004 #7 of 14
    homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    He said he had a 522 which is a DVR. DVR's will always be slow changing channels because they are buffering the data onto the hard drive. A 301 changes channels much faster than a 522 because it doesn't have a hard drive to buffer data on.

But use the program guide and the browse banner.... if you really are lazy try the *gasp* TV Guide Channel on 102... I feel dirty for saying that....

8. Jul 2, 2004 #8 of 14
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Have you tried 102? :eek2: Are our friends at E* playing a prank on us or is it just not fully implemented yet? My wife turned this on yesterday, It doesn't show anything other what on High Def and some info about movies that were on, didn't see a complete channel lineup. :nono2:

I stick with the EPG. :grin:

Jason

9. Jul 2, 2004 #9 of 14
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Give it some time...I'm sure you'll like it. About 4 years back I moved from the Chicago burbs to the Chicago boonies. In the burbs I had digital cable, and I thought I liked it. When I built my new home and moved out of civilization I signed up for the area's digital cable service. I had it three days until I realized why my block is lined with dishes. I could get a better picture by sticking a coat hanger in my TV's RF input..(Humor :rolleyes: ). At the time I was reluctant to go to a Dish because I still needed an antenna for locals and like I said I live in the boonies. But none-the-less I bought an E* system and after getting used to the delay in channel changes I swear I'll never go back. Give it time...you'll see the benefits.

The post below about auto switching between 110 and 119 is correct. But like the post below says I'd try to get a stronger signal than 80. Maybe hard to do depending on where your dish is mounted and any trees etc...But I live in God's Country and get hammered by all kinds of inclimate weather. I recommend the stronger signal.

Welcome to DBS,
    Jason

10. Jeraden

Jeraden Cool Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Back before I had dish I was a notorious channel surfer. I'd just loop through all the channels over and over looking for something interesting. I had a similar moment of shock when I got my dish installed and realized I couldn't really do that any longer. But you get used to it quick. Now I end up looping through the guide over and over looking for something that sounds interesting instead. :)

11. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    You sound exactly like a co-worker of mine.... He got Dish installed this week but had too low of a signal on one of the satellites. He had FOUR installers back out on Thursday trying to solve the problem, but apparently they didn't (yet). They tried moving the dish completely (post-mounted) and swapping out his receiver (522).

He also said it takes much, much longer to change channels. I told him it might take 1-3 seconds after choosing a channel in the guide, but he says it's much worse than that. Could it be a bad multiswitch ?? Isn't that what does the "switching" between satellites and transponders ??

12. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    If he has an external multiswitch. Of course, Twin/Quad LNBFs have an internal one.

Switching between satellites and tranponder POLARITY occur 'out there'. Selecting a transponder and a channel on that transponder happens in the tuner.

Low signal strength might be the cause of slow channel switching.

13. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    He most likely has the same switch as me, the DP34. He does have the SuperDish.

14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I don't see him mentioning SuperDish anywhere.

As a new subscriber with a 522, I'll agree that he likely has DishPro, tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.