1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Happy With New Ext. HDD Feature

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by klmay65, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klmay65

klmay65 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I went ahead and forked out the $40 to turn on the external HDD feature on my VIP622. I already knew that the DVR would not automatically record to an added HDD, which was already one strike against it, but I decided to try it anyway. I moved a couple of shows to the hard drive to archive them and free up some space on the main drive. I then found out that I am unable to access the external drive from TV2. So what use is this drive if I have to take 20 - 45 minutes to restore a show before someone can watch it on TV2? I can watch the shows direct from the HDD on TV1, so why not TV2? I do not recommend anyone pay for this "service" until they add some reason to justify the cost.

2. anthonyi

anthonyi Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    I agree with you 100%. It is not worth the upgrade til it works on both tuners.

Don't waste your money on something that is not worth getting into. Your better off it you like to keep a show or movie, just burn it to DVD. Plus it is cheaper and know activation charge. lol

3. sathq

sathq Cool Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I was not aware of this limitation. That's a bummer. Are you using the 622 in single or dual mode? If in dual, will single mode allow TV2 access? One thing to keep in mind is this is the first version of the software. They mentioned on the tech chat several upgrades that are coming in the future. However, I don't know if this issue is one of them.

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Well for a lot of people these two show stoppers are not show stoppers. I use my 622s in single mode 95% of the time so watching it from TV2 is not a issue. There is also the work around of accessing TV1 on your home distribution and then watching it from there. That is of course requires your system to be set up that way.

Bottom line... in my opinion for the people that need the extra capacity or want the flexibility of taking a movie and archiving it for later viewing, having this feature is worth the one time activation fee.

I fully understand the annoyance of not viewing it on TV2, but for the people hungry for extra capacity the current limitations to me would be minimal compared to the advantages of 750GB of extra space. Of course I recommend all considering external HD to read Robs first look so you can properly weigh the pros and cons before activation.

5. R_Childress

R_Childress AllStar

Jan 4, 2006
    You can also output TV1 over the modulator on a different channel than TV2 can't you???

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes you can. That is what I was referring to but for I can see where some would not want to configure their 622/722s that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.