1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not the smoothest install - but my HR21 is in

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by njmurvin, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    Scheduled two weeks ago, Sun PM install (1-5pm). Waited around the house and waited and waited and finally, a call at 4:45 saying that a tech was on his way. 20 minutes later, a call from the tech stating that they had 3 dead DVRs on the truck and none to install. They would have to reschedule for following Wed. I told him no good, I would be out of town. He said to call D* and reschedule - which I did for the following Sat (pm again).

I get a VM on my home phone on Wed - "Where are you? I'm sitting outside your house". D* had not informed the installer of the schedule change.

So, Saturday afternoon arrives. I waited and waited and, finally, 4:30, a knock at the door. The tech tells me that he is there to install my new DVR and move my HR10 to another room. "Great", I said. "What about the dish and multiswitch?" He didn't have any - showed me his work order which had nothing like that on it. So, he called his supervisor and they somehow got one brought over by another tech in the area.

In the meantime, my guy had some time to burn while we waited. So, he decided to go ahead and install the HR21 in place of my HR10 in my cabinet. After tracking a bunch of mud all over my beige carpet, he proceeded to rip out the ground ring of the green component connector from the HR10. Instead of twisting the cable off the RCA connector, he just pulled really hard and off came the chrome outer ring of the connector which stayed on the cable. Then, he tried to shove that into the HR21 (which obviously wouldn't fit). While he was out of the room getting something off his truck, I used some pliers to remove the ground ring from the cable and carefully replaced it into the HR10. I hope it works.

Then, he insisted on telling me that my TV was on the wrong setting (HDMI). I explained that the signal is routed thru an AVR which upconverts the component signal to HDMI. I don't think that concept ever sunk in - at least until he actually saw a picture on the TV.

After the dish arrived, he told me he couldn't install it on the eave of my house. So, I asked, "Where else can you put it?" After looking things over, he decided it was his only option. I'm not happy about the stability there. So, I will be doing some work to make this mount more stable.

In the end, it works. But, wow, what a hassle. With all the time I spent waiting around and fixing his mistakes and cleaning up his mess, I could have done a better job myself. I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay for this installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.