1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not worth leaving over $2-$4 increase

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DNSinstall, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2005 #1 of 29
    DNSinstall

DNSinstall New Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Dish has not had an increase in two years. Due to several current and upcoming programming, as well as, equipment they had no choice.

With many new receivers and services coming to Dish, Don't be so quick to leave.

They STILL remain the lowest all digital pay for TV company out there.

:D :D :D

2. Jan 7, 2005 #2 of 29
    mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #3 of 29
    reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    And we might be switching back in March after our stupid year contract ends. We don't like DirecTV and their crappy tivo (way overratted). Read my post history to find out more.

4. Jan 7, 2005 #4 of 29
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Well, I have two people in my city who just jumped ship. Got them a good deal on Directv.

5. Jan 7, 2005 #5 of 29
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I've done some checking around. Comcast is more expensive for what I get, even after the coming Dish increase. I think I saw a post somewhere that D-TV was also going to raise prices. And ~$3 is better than some of the price increases I saw when I had cable. So I'll probably stay with Dish, maybe downgrade my package a little.

But, personnally I'm not impressed any more with the promise of new receivers from Dish. They look good on paper, but seem to stay on paper longer, and need some software updates to be stable. I am now very satisfied with my 721 - but it had problems early on.

6. Jan 7, 2005 #6 of 29
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Dish Network has not raised the AT60 package for two or three years so they done pretty good on that package. They still have a cheaper basic package than DirecTv. If it would be a $2 or $3 an increase each year for 3 years then it really adds up - thats $6-9 more. OUCH!

7. Jan 7, 2005 #7 of 29
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    For me it's just getting to be the proverbial straw. I jumped ship from Time Warner in 1997 because the bill was aproaching $45 and the channel selection was crap. I went to Dish and was paying $40 and getting movie channels and even spanish language channels. I added more channels to the package and was paying a TON of money ($60) for everything in English and Spanish. Now....I'm going to double that with the next price increase. $124 a mo and that is after I dropped the spanish channels since I refuse to be double-charged for half the Dish-Latino package and being forced to take the Playboy Channel which I don't like (not for prudish reasons...just doesn't float my boat)

Couple that with Dish STILL doesn't have my local UPN, the local Ohio secondary PBS, CSPAN3, Ovation, or several other channels I've been wanting, I'm looking for reasons to stay.

If I lose my distant nets....I'm gone.
    If Dish charges me a DVR/PVR fee... I'm gone.

These aren't threats or empty rants. These are just the ONLY two reasons why I want to stay with Dish. TWC's pacages are comperably priced. DirecTV's packages are now cheaper or comperably priced depending on the channels one wants.

Perhaps Dish will pull something out of its ass and maybe give me more reasons to stay and gain its competative edge.

See ya
    Tony

8. Jan 7, 2005 #8 of 29
    TowJumper

TowJumper AllStar

Sep 19, 2003
    I agree completely Tony. It seems even we old Dish supporters (I have been with them since 100,000 subs) are feeling a lack of "compelling" reasons to stay with Dish.

I have the AEP+HD etc ($107mo), and was thinking about dropping to AT60 and relying on Netflix for $18 dollars. Supposedly D* with have my DMA up this year then there will be no reason for E* at all.

WAKE UP CHARLIE!

9. Jan 7, 2005 #9 of 29
    hambone

hambone AllStar

Dec 4, 2004
    Just don't stop doing the channel list, please :grin:

10. hambone

hambone AllStar

Dec 4, 2004
    Whaaaat? That simply cannot be the case. Not with the almighty TiVo :lol:

11. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    Yes, you added a few extra points that I failed to make in my earlier post today. To get my local PBS on Dish and the local PAX (which has a good local news broadcast at 10PM, the only thing I'd watch on the whole channel) , I have to add an extra 61.5 DISH . I had one already but the Dish Mover program would not authorize the installer to do it. Instead I have to go through the hassle of another installer from 100 miles away coming, and making sure I am home when he/she comes. IF (I'm still not sure) I switch to Time Warner I get TWO local PBS stations plus local networks from two neighboring DMAs. I've never seen CSPAN 3 but I think I would like it. PLUS I will get Newsworld International !!!

I have really enjoyed Dish though, I may feel like a traitor if I leave. As you say, reasons stay are getting less!
    Andy.

12. SteveS

SteveS Guest

Along with the $2 to $4 programming increase isn't Dish strongarming the $1.99 a month warranty up to $5.99 in the near future?

I would have tolerated the programming increase butI don't like the jump in warranty cost and that was just one of the reasons for me to bail on Dish.

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I've done dropped my bill a little bit but still have AEP and a few extra's. If they raise the warranty up $4-6 on me (I heard its $2 more for 4+ receivers/tuners? or is that just with DirecTv?) plus another annual increase then that will really add up but if I have to pay DVR fees on my 522 and 510 then thats going to be $10 there if I do not keep AEP. If I get rid of AEP I will probably only keep one or two movie packages but keep AT180. I guess I would need to get dual tuner receivers to cut down on the additional outlet fees to help offset the cost as well. Every little thing adds up.

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Directv has Opcion Extra for $29.99 with locals (80 channels) how is that more expensive than AT-60? Yes DISH had a 2 year no price increase gaurantee on AT-60 that expires this month now they catch up on the prices. Seeing that is the lowest package they offer that price increase will affect everyone.
    :)

15. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    In looking at price increases, be sure to look at other ways Dish "nickle and dime" us - the recent PVR fee for new receivers and the possible increase in the charge for extended warrantee, for example.

16. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    It isn't the price hike that is chasing me away - it's te atrocious quality (or lack thereof) in their PVR software.

Saw some Modern Marvels programs that looked interesting - 4 hours worth. Come home from work - they're all 1-minute blank recordings.

17. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    That just sucks. It is just horrible to sit down and watch a show you recorded and find that it didn't. I have never dealt with the 7200 but my 501 has been rock solid. Not a single issue with it. It always records, never misfires, and just keeps humming along. Heck even my wife can use it (!)

18. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I forgot about the Opcion Extra that DirecTv came out with but thought that was not available to anybody anymore only those that ordered it a while back but maybe that was a different package. Does Opcion Extra qualify for the new customer promotions that DirecTv has?

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Correct! $1.02.00 for AT180.

20. DNSinstall

DNSinstall New Member

Oct 18, 2004

That was not actually an increase, they conbined the top 50 with locals to create top 60, top 120 and top180.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.