1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing new with DirecTV for a while now...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDTVFreak07, Mar 20, 2009.

1. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I'm hoping for anything new from DirecTV any time soon. It could be new GUI (Hopefully in HD), new HD channel or anything. It's all about getting the local channels in HD lately and where I live, it'll never happen (no SD or HD locals for my area). Come on, DirecTV, give us something new for once!

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Everyone wants something, and everyone seems to want something different.

You aren't likely to see much more in the way of HD expansion until DirecTV-12 is launched and online.

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    well directv opened a new booth in the garden state plaza mall here....its the 6th biggest mall in the USA.

4. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    How quickly we all forget QuickTune?

;)

5. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York

You, my friend, have hit the proverbial nail, squarely on the head.... :)

6. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Question: Why?
    D-10 gave us the bulk of the HD channels....D-11 gave us locals?

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Tell you what... Compare what Directv has given you thats new over the past 3 years, vs what your local cable company has offered you thats new in the last 3 years, and lets see who is leading whom...

8. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    I want the first five minute free preview of all pay per views to come back.

9. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Three years? It's all about what have you done for me lately...other than raise prices that is.

10. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    The main thing i wanted was PBSHD, so i got tired of waiting and got it myself by getting a AM21.

11. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Where have you been? Quicktune has been awhile for a few weeks now. I use this features as often as I have used it in the past with the Hughes receivers before I went to ALL HD (had Hughes HD receiver but now it's only used at my summer residence just to check for any digital signals on any off-air channels between 2 and 69 and checking for signal strength and adjusting my antenna).

12. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Their a TV content provider, nothing more, nothing less, if you need something new all the time, break out the credit card and go shopping. New features are nice and welcomed, but to expect some new majical software with new features monthly is a bit much..... Software companies don't offer new featues that often. You want new, move into your summer home early, that would be a new experience......

13. werinshades

werinshades Cool Member

Oct 10, 2007
    That sums up exactly what I was thinking. My Mom still has Comcast (Trying to get her to see the light!), and she complains about this all the time. Rates go up, channels getting removed from packages...but if you want that channel back, you have to subscribe to this "tier". We just talked about this last week, between rate increases, and here comes the taxes (Which satellite providers don't have to charge), her bill has gone up well over $15 ($5 increase per year with DirecTV), than mine has. As long as DirecTV doesn't do anything drastic with their channel line-up, keep their rate increases per year as reasonable as they have been ,they will retain me as a customer.

14. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    I'm using an H20-100, how does Quicktune work??

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Comcast in particular is now where DIRECTV was in early 2007. Nothing for almost three years and waiting impatiently for bandwidth to appear. Now that they have removed all but a few dozen of their analog channels, they will likely start finding room for a number of new offerings.

Perhaps DIRECTV is holding out to torpedo that campaign.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I don't think they've added Quicktune to the H20's yet, I know my H20-600 doesn't have it and it's running the very latest software.

17. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    D11 still has available bandwidth. Plenty! Bandwidth is not the bottleneck. :rolleyes:

18. ralphfurley

ralphfurley Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I was one of the patient "Directv has more HD than cable so why complain" types until I got ATT UVERSE on March 8th. I got UVERSE mainly to rid myself of Comcrap Internet; fully expected to dismiss UVERSE TV as a sub par attempt at being a DBS competitor. But I have been wrong. I actually get more HD from UVERSE. Travel, AMC, E!, G4, QVC, Hallmark, even Lifetime and Lifetime Movies!. plus the Encore suite and MAX and SHO channels that I didnt even know existed. Now D still has a better picture. ( even the wife says ATT looks a bit blurry compared to D) but I love content. I hope Directv starts adding soon

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm sure it still has SOME, but I don't know about "plenty." I'm sure they could add 6-10 more HD channels without removing anything currently in use. Part of the problem is that companies try to bundle their channels, so that if you want one, popular channel, they want you to carry 3-4 of their other, less-popular channels. I'd bet that something along those lines is the biggest thing holding up the addition of some channels.

Plus, I'd also bet that they have 3-4 channels that they are in the process of completing negotiations on.

But "plenty" to me means room for 30+ CONUS channels, and I doubt they've got anything like that.

20. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Still waiting for DLB (on the HR2x series) and my local PBS station in HD (WITF).