1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Notice of class action law suit and release of subscribers personal info...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cj9788, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1 of 16
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Got this via email. If there is already a thread I didn't find it.

https://dishnetworkmail.com/servlet/cc6?KpkoQYCYDQUVhuADACxHllQgLlVaVRVXLX

NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AND COURT-ORDERED DISCLOSURE OF
    PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
    PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY AS IT MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS.
    THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT FROM YOU AND THIS IS NOT A LAWSUIT AGAINST YOU.

You received this Notice because records indicate you were a customer of DISH Network L.L.C. (“DISH”) who 1) paid for a programming package for all or part of October, 2010 that included Fox Sports Net (“FSN”) programming and/or FX programming; and 2) did not receive a monetary credit equal to the value of such programming, which DISH failed to provide from October 1, 2010 to October 29, 2010. If you meet these criteria, you are a member of the class certified by the Court unless you choose to exclude yourself.

2. Apr 2, 2014 #2 of 16
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Who does this affect? I don't recall a dispute involving FSN or FX during those dates. Does this only affect certain package subscribers? At the time I had Top 250. If these channels were only pulled from Top 150 I would not have noticed. I did not receive a notice.

3. Apr 2, 2014 #3 of 16
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    what a complete waste of time and money.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #4 of 16
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  5. Apr 3, 2014 #5 of 16
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I got it too and am eagerly anticipating my $.50 credit on my bill.

6. Apr 3, 2014 #6 of 16
    jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Doesn't it say in everyone's contract that the availability of channels can change without notice? Has anything like this been tried before to see if that clause can be upheld?

I believe that if they remove a channel, they should either find an replacement that costs them the same as what they were paying before or give you a discount equal to what they pay per subscriber for the channel. For example, if DirecTV was paying $1.00 for The Weather Channel and they replaced it with WeatherNation, which costs them $0.50, then they should give you a $0.50 discount for one month or the remainder of your contract (whichever is later). If they added a channel that costs $0.50+, then they could remove the discount.

7. Apr 3, 2014 #7 of 16
    Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    I think the Happy Meal (TM) that I got in 1993 didn't contain a prime number of french fries. I need a lawyer.

8. Apr 3, 2014 #8 of 16
    festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    While I agree that it doesn't help us much monetarily, it sends a message to Dish that they really shouldn't stop providing a promised channel without some recourse to its customers. They're not living up to their end of the deal, whether it's their fault or not.

How about a few bucks off my bill now that the promised STO (Sports Time Ohio) is blacked out?

9. Apr 3, 2014 #9 of 16
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It does nothing of the sort. In fact, in the long run they can just raise prices and cover these kinds of fees anyway.

Remember... with a few specific exceptions... you are buying a package of channels that may or may not contain any guaranteed channels or content. If they dropped half the channels in the package, you'd have a better argument... but a channel here and there is covered right there in the agreement we all make when we sign up for Dish.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    And if it costs them $2 or $3 or more in Administrative costs to issue that miniscule credit?

Suppose it was $3 and they raised your monthly rate by $3 to cover the costs of the $0.50 credit so that your bill went up $2.50?

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Not to mention there's a reason why the price changes occur at a set time. Contracts with networks expire at various times during the year. If they adjusted prices as soon as a new contract was in place or to reflect expired contracts the price of the base packages will change from month to month.

I wasn't following Dish then if they did anything, but usually in cases where there was a mass blackout of programming they provide some insentives like opening up channels in higher packages or provide additional programming. (i.e. during DirecTV/Viacom they opened up the Encores, Fuse, TV One and even added Disney Junior)

12. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    My memory isn't good enough to recall this particular incident but often Dish issues pay-per-view coupons as an apology for service disruption. Wonder if they might have done that in this case.

13. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Maybe so, but it sure is disappointing. What chance would I have to amend that agreement before signing up?

I don't like to change providers. It'a huge pain you know where. But I would be done with Dish already if I wouldn't lose all my recordings on their hard drives formatted such that the recordings can't be transferred to, for example, a Directv device. It really seems that the best solution is to switch every 2 or 3 years to get intro rates and new equipment. Fulfill the obligation and switch again. If you don't mind losing recordings and schedules.

But these p!ssing matches between channels and providers are enough to really consider cutting the cord once and for all. I tend to blame the channels more. Seem like a bunch of greedy jerks. But then everyone suffers.

14. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I remember this when it happened the FOX suite of channels and FOX owned and operated tv stations disappeared either on or just after the season premier of Sons of Anarchy. I always thought FOX requested the channels to go black but from what I have read Dish pulled the channels. .Had to get my SOA fix using methods we are not allowed to talk about.....

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When a contract ends and there is no agreement to continue (even on a temporary basis) it is illegal for a carrier to rebroadcast content they are not paying for. So point the fingers at both parties or neither - there is no agreement. DISH has no choice but to pull channels where there is no agreement. Lest they end up breaking the law.

16. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    !rolling