1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Noticed a Mail notice on HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RAD, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Today I happened to see the Mail ICON on the channel banner page was on. Went to Caller ID and MSG's and didn't see it on the first page, needed to scroll all the way to the bottom of all the caller ID entries to find the message. It was a message about the BBC adapters and to make sure they're connected.

Nice, D*'s using every means possible to get the word out. IMHO one thing though, you should have messages stay at the top in the caller ID/MSG list, not at the bottom to make it more noticable.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have not checked all of my receiver's yet but the one HR20 I am using now did not receive it. My H21 did.

3. HarleyJoel

HarleyJoel Mentor

Dec 9, 2005
    I got the same message on my HR20. Lite 'em up!

4. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut

AH HA! I saw that little envelope icon, in the main menu, and thought it was something I hadn't seen before. But, when I went into the caller id list, I didn't see anything new, but I didn't scroll the the bottom of the list. :grin:

5. d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    +1

It took me awhile to figure it myself, although this is the first message I've gotten so I'll know where to look next time.

6. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    Did you post this in the Issues thread? I'm sure they've seen this one by now but I might consider this an Issue as I would agree with you that it should be up at the top. :)

7. eahmjh

eahmjh AllStar

Dec 2, 2006
    Our was in the Messages section and not the Caller ID part. It did show up in the quick view screen that is in what I call the mini caller id list. If you select Caller ID & Msgs, Edit Settings, and look in the Messages tab you will see the message.

8. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Didn't put it in an issues thread since I don't think it's specific to a specific release but design of the box. Looks like it's multiple STB's now since same thing has been noted on a H21 and I just checked my H20 and it was also at the bottom of the caller ID list.

9. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    Wish I could get CID. Have never had it even though my CID is on.:(

10. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Sorry it's not working for you. But maybe here's an idea. While reviewing the H21 reciever manual, usually I don't read manuals, there's a FCC section, which goes into all the legal mumbo jumbo required. One of the points mentioned is the REN, Ringer Equivalency Number, which IIRC is how much current a device will draw for it's ringer. I checked the HR20's manual and on page 58 they also go into this. I wonder if for the folks that are having CID problems if there are are too many devices hung on the phone line drawing too much current for the HR20 to have it's CID work properly? Maybe it might be worth it to disconnect as many other phones are you can to see if that makes it work?

11. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005

I have it although when I was cleaning up some wires I disconnected the phone line and have to rerun it but I didn't think I would miss it this week but I did so sorry you can't get it i think it is a nice feature

12. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    I think this may well be the case for at least some.I connected the phone-line to my new HR20 a few days ago and the volume on all my phones dropped considerably.And they would not always maintain a ring-tone.

If I had a phone in my hand as I connected/disconnected the HR20,there was a noticeable difference every time.Oddly,this never happened with the HR10 it replaced.So it may be that the HR20 is pulling more current(i.e.TOO MUCH) and is affecting the CID...as well as possibly all the phones in the house.

13. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    I too noticed the envelope icon lit up a little while ago and it took me a while to realize the msg was at the very bottom of the list of caller id msgs. Pretty dumb and completely the wrong way to do things imo.

14. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    Yes I had a msg on one of the hr20's I watch. The other one I watch didn't have the msg. After poking about it looks like I didn't have one set to receive msgs. I agree that the msg should be at the top of the list.

15. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Absolutely the worst place to put the message icon. I feel it should be its own category, a simole click on the menu. I would never think that messages should be put together with caller id.

Just my opinion.

16. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    My message was in the Message Folder, not mixed in with CID stuff, so it looks like it worked as it was supposed to on my HR20.

Ahhhh....I see, you guys are talking about notification and location of the Message Folder. Since I have played with CID a lot, I always knew where the messages were stored. You're right, there should be a better notification system....although the LAST thing I want is some stupid screen notification that screws up a recording (to an external device, like a DVD recorder).

17. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The first D* receivers I had many years ago put a notification in the banner with the channel info, so it would not come up unless you changed channels or hit info.

18. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Getting to the message folder via going to edit settings is not very intutive to me. Agreeded, I don't want something automatically popping up at me, the current way of notification is OK with me, just make it easier to find the message.

19. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

What he said!

20. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Agree with all posters that stted the Messages should be above (even in a another folder) the caller ID messages.

Maybe they could have the menu item Caller ID and Messages and when you click on it you are presented with two folders like Media Share, one for Caller ID and one for messages from D*. Allow these to be expandable like windows explorer so that we can keep the caller ID folder expanded all the time and the Messages folder closed until there is something in there to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.