1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now Let Me Get This Straight...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by NOLANSKI, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI Legend

Apr 4, 2007
    ....You put the Lime....just baiting.:)

OK I'm getting my locals now via D* all are HD except KOIN which is CBS.
    D* doesn't provide a HD feed for D*. And quite frankly with what D* provides the pic STINKS!
    I can however get it OTA just fine.
    I applied for a waiver just to make things simpler because I REALLY would like to take down my HUGE OTA antenna and just get all my stuff via D*.
    I WAS DENIED.

So is it worth it to contact the station or station owner corprate conglomerate as suggested or would I be spinning my wheels in mud.

Nolanski

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd say you're likely to get your wheels dirty but if you've got nothing better to do, why not try?

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Consider yourself fortunate that you can get it OTA, and start regarding your OTA antenna as an engineering marvel and modern techno-art. At least you'll feel better while enjoying your OTA picture.:)

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    You can call the station or call the advertisers during the local news and say "Wow, I'd like to watch your station/buy your products, but you aren't carried on DIRECTV. I'll have to switch to the other channel/products."

That might get them off their ...

Cheers,
    Tom

5. bkwest918

bkwest918 AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    I hightly doubt it... they could give a flip. I find one person complaining doesn't do much.

/b

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    They do care about their ratings and the advertisers care about who is watching which ads. Amazing what HD does to a station's ratings if the other stations aren't doing HD. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

7. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I agree with this opinion. In Tucson, the local stations held out for money from Cox. They couldn't care less about the fact they weren't on cable and that 1/3 of the population living on the west side of the city will never receive their signal off the air. Retrans agreements appear to be worth more than ratings. Nobody knows the dollars involved in getting the deal done, but it wasn't until about 9 months ago that Cox in Tucson had the big 4 in HD.

8. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    FCC Information Fact Sheet re: SHVERA (10/06)

"A third alternative, created by the 2004 SHVERA statute, will allow for signal testing at your household to determine if you are “served” by a digital signal over-the-air. In some cases, if you are shown to be “unserved,” you would be eligible for distant digital signals, provided you subscribe to local-into-local analog service if it is offered. However, this digital testing option is not available until April 30, 2006 (in the top 100 television markets) and July 15, 2007 (in all other television markets). In certain situations, a station may qualify for a waiver of this testing requirement for a limited period of time. In addition, your satellite carrier may refuse to arrange for the digital signal test, and in that case, you may arrange and pay for a test yourself, under the supervision of the satellite carrier. Your satellite carrier can tell you whether you are in a top 100 market and whether it will help you to arrange for a digital signal test once the testing provisions take effect in 2006 or 2007.".......

......."If you are going to have a signal test at your household, the tester must be qualified, independent and someone that the satellite carrier and television station can agree upon. In the event that a satellite company and the TV station are unable to agree on someone to conduct the test, the FCC has designated the American Radio Relay League ("ARRL") as the independent and neutral entity to approve the proposed tester. The satellite provider and the TV station are supposed to work with the ARRL to select the person or organization that will conduct the signal strength test. The ARRL does not perform the test; rather it evaluates a proposed tester’s qualifications."

9. ebockelman

ebockelman Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    You aren't out anything but your time if you try, so I would recommend doing just that. The station will likely look at your address and see that you are in the OTA footprint, denying your request.

I agree with hasan - enjoy the OTA. I use OTA ATSC in my setup and love the fact that I have CW, PBS, and all of the subchannels that aren't available on the satellite.

10. NOLANSKI

NOLANSKI Legend

Apr 4, 2007
    Thanks to all who responded!

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    On Monday. Station brass is home watching games:lol: :lol:

12. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I was denied for all Waivers when I applied a couple years back but after calling my local CBS and ABC I was able to convince them to approve the waiver. I called the local station and asked for their technical department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.