1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now That D10's Up, Any Risk To Losing "Borrowed" Locals In September?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by boltjames, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 7, 2007 #1 of 11
    boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    For the past 11 years, I've lived in NH and have had the fortune of keeping my NY locals and RSN's having never changed the service address once I moved North from my mom's house.

I've got 2 HR20's, the proper 5LNB slimline dish, the "B" converters, and am currently receiving CBS/FOX/ABC/NBC from NY in HD as well as SNY and YES in HD.

After rooting hard for the D10 payload to be successful, I read this passage from the D* press release, and am wondering if there is a risk to my losing my beloved NY HD locals:

After the spacecraft is maneuvered into a circular orbit at 103 degrees West longitude and tests are completed, it is expected to begin operations in early September, delivering the first of up to 100 national HD channels by year-end. The DIRECTV 10 satellite's powerful transponder payload includes spot beam capacity that will enable DIRECTV to expand its local HD channel services to up to 75 markets this year.

I was told last year that the RSN's would likely be moving to the CONUS sat which was a good thing for people in my particular situation, but this "spot beam" capacity has me worried.

If anyone can let me know the latest info I'd appreciate it.

TIA

BJ

2. Jul 7, 2007 #2 of 11
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Just means that is has spotbeams to offer HD locals to more parts of the country, that's all. Isn't going to effect the spotbeams that are already in use on the Spaceways (other then maybe a shuffle) like with New York. And besides, New York HD locals will always be available on a national beam since they are used for distants. So in effect you could be in Nevada with a New York address and get the NY HD locals. Right now those are in MPEG2 in the 80s, with the new sat they can (and will) offer them nationally in MPEG4 as well.

Basically there is no effect for you at all.

3. Jul 7, 2007 #3 of 11
    boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    Thank you very much. I can relax and enjoy the weekend now.

BJ

4. Jul 7, 2007 #4 of 11
    boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    One more question....

I've got a friend in LA that has a similar situation using his mom's NY address. He currently receives the NY locals in HD but can only get the NY RSN's in SD. Does this new D10 sat mean that in September he'll be able to get the NY RSN's in HD?

BJ

5. Jul 7, 2007 #5 of 11
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes.

6. Jul 7, 2007 #6 of 11
    boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    Great news. Thanks.

BJ

7. Jul 7, 2007 #7 of 11
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    for what it's worth, a CSR told me HD distants would be turned off in early 2008.

Remember - this was from a CSR; nothing official.

8. Jul 7, 2007 #8 of 11
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Did they mean the MPEG2 ones or all HD distants. That makes little sense as there are still white areas for local stations....

I thought the MPEG2 ones would be shut down by now, at least the West Coast versions. (Hello! That would give enough bandwidth to support NFL ST HD this year.)

9. Jul 8, 2007 #9 of 11
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Since I've heard they've been replacing MPEG 2 receivers for West Coast DNS subscribers, i'd imagine it's just the MPEG 2 HD DNS that will be gone... and the MPEG 4 HD DNS will be subject to the same stricter waiver standards that SD DNS are now.

10. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Seems logical that MPEG-2 West coast nationals would be the first to go. They did have a bit of a head start on the rest of the nation with equipment upgrades. LA is also allready on a LiL spotbeam. Just a matter of making the switch to a CONUS transponder or widening the beams footprint.

11. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    IIRC, and it has been a couple of years since I read it, the new SHVERA makes an allowance that distant digital signals can be delivered by a close local market. So for example, if you lived in a white area in SD, you might get Minneapolis locals.

A lot will depend on spot beam coverage. But like I said, it has been a while since I read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.