1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NPRM and grounding question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ecrabb, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ecrabb

ecrabb Cool Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi guys,

I'm moving a 5LNB slimline from a temp ground mount to the roof of the garage along with a new OTA antenna. Including the drop from the roof, it'll probably be a 50-60' run from the new location to the point of entry on the house. I'm confused about what I should or shouldn't do with the ground.

I was thinking that where the run drops off the roof of the garage, I'd put in a new grounding rod, and run a #10 from the antenna and dish. From there, I'd bond the rod and the house's main ground with a 30' piece of #6 so I wouldn't have a floating ground. Is that OK?

The point of entry is right next to the house ground rod, so I can ground the ground blocks right there with a short piece of #10.

I didn't think I'd even need the new ground rod, but I read somewhere here that the NEC says 25 feet max for a #10 ground, and I'll be at 50 or 60.

Am I on the right track?

Also, any ideas for a cheap DIY mat to put the two FRM200's on? I was going to order them from Solid Signal, but the price w/shipping was silly. A scrap of EPDM would work perfectly, but I have no idea where I'd get some. A commercial roofing contractor, perhaps?

Thanks!
    SC

Attached Files:

2. ecrabb

ecrabb Cool Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Wow, 70 views and not a single comment? Let's try this again, only simpler...

Given that I have a 60' run from dish/antenna to point of entry and main ground,

Do I:
    1) Run heavy ground all the way from the roof to the main ground, or do I...
    2) Add new ground rod where I come off the roof and bond the two together

Thanks,
    SC

3. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The ground block at the point of entry to the house would be the simplest and probably the best solution. A single ground point is always preferrable and would be far less work than adding an additional ground rod and bonding the grounds.

4. Bill C

Bill C Mentor

Aug 22, 2006
    I would run dual rg-6 with #17 ground attached from dish to ground block on house by main ground (ground block no more than 20 feet away). #17
    ground wire that is attached to dual rg-6 to be bonded at dish foot at one
    end and the ground block at other end. Run #10 ground wire from groun d block
    to main ground at house.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    simple answer, ask your local code enforcement officer about requirements. depending on town size he/she may be able to give personal attention.

6. ecrabb

ecrabb Cool Member

Aug 5, 2003
    And less expensive, too!

Bill - Thanks, that's a another idea I hadn't considered.

Dave, I was trying to avoid that as it's nearly impossible to interact with the code guys, here. They're so busy, it takes days just to get a call back. A good idea nevertheless.

Any cheap matt ideas?

Thanks, guys!

SC