1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia Gefore 6800

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by invaliduser88, Apr 14, 2004.

1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Nvidia is king of the hill again for sure. This monster trashed ATI's flagship chip.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1708/

But, who is willing to shell out $500.00 for it???

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well shoot, I'm sure the IRS wouldn't mind if I just delete that much from the check I have to send them tomorrow. :D

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm not a gamer, but if I had that card I just might become one instead of playing just Grand Theft Auto a few hours here and there. As long as ATI is dethroned that's what counts :)

4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    What's wrong with ATI? I used to have Nvidia cards but their buggy drivers gave me fits. When I had to do yet another reinstall of WinXP just because the Nvidia driver hosed the system, I said 'No MORE!". I bought an ATI All-In-Wonder card that has been excellent. Drivers have been very stable (I had heard that earlier drivers were problematic but they are very stable now). Picture quality is superior to the Nvidia cards I had. Plus it has all the nifty video processing ability and TV tuner built-in.

5. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    You haven't used XP system rollback feature have you???? Save me from OS reloads because of bad drivers.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Nothing I just happen to a NVidia loyalist. :) I was a huge fan of 3DFX, when NVidia bought them out my loyality switched over. I've been using 3DFX/NVidia cards for the past 5+ years now and had no problems with their cards or drivers.

7. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "when NVidia bought them out my loyality switched over."

Why? Because nVidia killed off your beloved company, immediately ceased driver support even for the newly released Voodoo4, and even forced Microsoft to include broken drivers for the Voodoo cards with XP?

Down with nVidia. Down with ATI too, they've deliberately broken Adobe Gamma support in the newest cats. But still, they're not as bad as nVidia, and if you were a 3dfx fan, nVidia is the LAST company on this planet you should support!

8. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes, I tried using the System Restore, but even it couldn't help, it would fail during the restore. Also tried Recovery from the install disc, etc. Nada worked. The Nvidia driver install completely hosed the system in some manner I've not yet been able to determine exactly, and I'm not a newbie by any means. I've read about this problem from several sources so I know I'm not the only one that has seen it. Granted, it only happened twice but that was enough for me.

9. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    There is a known bug in the ATI Catalyst 4.4 drivers with the gamma support, but it should be fixed in the next release. I haven't installed the 4.4 drivers, still using the 4.3 with no problems. I found out about the 4.4 bug when people on the Windowblinds forum started complaining about pink spaces on skins where transparency should be. According to Stardock, ATI knows of the problem and has promised a fix.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Whatever Mark :rolleyes: Nothing you said above remotely effects me or my computer systems my GeForce 5600 FX suites my needs well. I could have saved myself $80 by getting a Radeon 9200 but I went for the GeForce.