1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NWCN is going off

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Oct 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Sometime back NWCN (NW Cable News) dropped Dish, as they demanded the same amount for NWCN, KGW, KREM, KING, in each market. Dish refused, as good as NWCN is, they do repeat their news too much. Now, Tegna (NWCN, KING, KGW, KREM, etc) claims NWCN is unneeded as all of the stations stream their news. I guess few want to pay inflated fees to carry the channel. Streaming is the future. This is probably the first casualty of many with streaming now.

2. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    It was bound to happen sooner than later, after all, TEGNA shut down TXCN a while back due to the network not doing well and also budget reasons, so they are probably shutting down NWCN due to budget and ratings reason.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, I think that is the case. Tegna wanted more money from the carriers, but did not get it, at least from Dish.

4. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    As predicted, NWCN has shut down all operations as of Jan. 6.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, it was in the clear on G14 on my big dish so I recorded the last hour of their broadcast. It was quite moving too and the news lady was crying at the end. NWCN was around for 21 years and was quite popular, but Tegna did not want to put money into the operation so it was shut down. It is uncertain if these all news regional channels are needed now with streaming. Used to be, if a viewer wanted news at off hours, channels like NWCN were there. But things have changed. All of the NW Terga stations all stream their news (KGW, KING, KREM, etc) and they are also on demand. I get probably 150+ TV stations on the Roku so I can stream their news. One morning I went from ME to FL. Working in broadcasting(radio), watching the different hosts is really a lot of fun. Many are very slick, and other smaller markets aren't.