1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NY dad deemed unfit for not taking son to McDonald's

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1 of 52
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

2. Nov 8, 2013 #2 of 52
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    IMO, he's a good parent for that. My parents always told me, "You can eat what we're having or go hungry to bed." I turned out fine.

Although with this story here, like any custody battle, parents try anything to screw over the other.

3. Nov 8, 2013 #3 of 52
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    And yet the federal government is banning trans fats, and New York City is dictating what you can and can't eat or drink. So this father does the same, on his own, without government laws telling him to do so, and he is an unfit father?

I wonder if people could sue New York City using this lawsuit as a basis to say New York is an unfit parent?

4. Nov 8, 2013 #4 of 52
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I would say what is this country coming to but I been saying for forty years.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nov 8, 2013 #5 of 52
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I never understood why we'll ban things bad for us like trans fat or large sugar drinks, which many people disagree with doing, but still criminalize marijuana - something that's beneficial to many and not as harmful. Drugs are bad, so keep them band! Trans fats are bad, so don't ban them! :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. Nov 8, 2013 #6 of 52
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    except this was a court-appointed psychiatrist and should not have had any favoritism toward one side or the other.

7. Nov 8, 2013 #7 of 52
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The father's mom was right...

8. Nov 8, 2013 #8 of 52
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    But did the shrink know the whole story or just what the mother likely told them? I bet the mother sais something like, "He refused to feed our son one night." Custody battles are viscous.

The dad nothing wrong, as far as I can tell thus far, but we don't know what all the shrink and courts know.

9. Nov 8, 2013 #9 of 52
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Just this morning I sigh a petition to legalize Medical marihuana here in Florida. The lady smile when I told her I would have sign one for non-medical marihuana also.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    She was probably stoned.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Legalize everything ... It's our bodies, we can do whatever we want to them, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm surprised Bloomberg didn't try to made illegal to feed young children fast foods in NYC!

13. Eva

Eva Member

Nov 8, 2013
    + 1

Most of us do a lot of things already.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    As long as alcohol and other mood altering substances can be freely sold, I'm not against making most of the current illegal drugs, legal under proper regulations.

1 person likes this.
  15. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    +1000 Ihave always said that if something I do harms no one else it is nobodies business what I am doing.

2 people like this.
  16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    It was back in the 80s that there was speculation people should be prosecuted for child abuse for referring cases TO the Illinois DCFS.

Seems like these governmental misfires are everywhere . . .

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This does seem like an overblown situation... but playing devil's advocate... How many days can you give this ultimatum to your kid before it does become abuse?

On day one... Anywhere but McDonalds or no food... ok, teach the kid a lesson.

What about two days?

Three days?

How many meals can you "punish" your kid by not allowing them to eat before it does become abuse?

That is actually a valid concern in this scenario. We all know about the "go to bed without supper" punishment... but if that becomes a multiple night thing, it becomes a malnourishment issue. Right? So where would you draw that line?

Did the father, in this scenario, not provide any food? In other words... the kid throws a tantrum and says "nyah!" but the father got the kid food from somewhere anyway and the kid just didn't eat it? OR was there no food at all for the kid to eat even if he changed his mind after the tantrum?

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It sounds like he has the son once a week, on Tuesdays and that there is a particular restaurant they generally go to. I can see a 4 year old not wanting to go to the same white tablecloth style restaurant every week.

I enjoyed it when I was young, and the menu seemed bigger than I was, but it wasn't a common thing, so it was more fun.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Somehow I wonder if the "strict mother" would have complained to the court if the father had taken the child to McDonalds instead of "insuring that my child received a proper dinner". :rolleyes:

Divorce is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. :(

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Bingo on both counts. My son at four didn't know about Mickey D's, but at 8 and 10 he sure did. Wendy's too. So I took him when he wanted to go. Felt that denial would have made the prize seem all the bigger. By 12 or 13 he wouldn't be caught dead in a fast food joint. Now he is a healthy eater and a very healthy young man.