1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NY HD locals via D* on HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by gquiring, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    What is the HR20 using for NY locals? MPEG2 or 4? I am coming from a HR10-250 and the locals via D* seem to be softer than I remember on the HR10. If I watch any of the newer channels that that are MPEG4 only they are much sharper.

2. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    The locals are available in BOTH MPEG2 (channels 80, 82, 84, 88) and in MPEG4 (channels 2,4,5,7).

A sub living WITHIN the NY DMA gets the NY DNS HD channels (MPEG2), as well as the true NY lils (MPEG4).

Which ones are you looking at?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Both. The NY HD Locals in the "normal" channels numbers (2, 4, 7, etc) are MPEG4 HD channels. The NY HD Locals in the 80's channel numbers are MPEG2.

4. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    I always meant to ask this. Is there any quality difference?

5. RD in Fla

RD in Fla Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    The MPEG4 versions haven't been put up on D10 on a CONUS transponder have they?

6. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I have been watching channels 2(CBS) & 4(NBC) these past two nights. I just finished watching NCIS and the PQ was not great. It is very soft. Chuck was also not very good. Yet if watch any of the Discovery or STARZ channels they are stunning by comparison. I never saw that much of a difference before.

I just flipped on NBC news on ch4 and flipped to 82. In this test both channels are super clear and ch4 has a slight edge with PQ. I have a recording of Boston Legal and this looks fine. So I am confused:confused:

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not yet.

8. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Well to conserve DVR space, I changed all my network shows to the MPEG4 versions. Should've done this a long time ago.

9. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    More confusion. I just watched Bionic Woman and the PQ was great but the last 5 minutes had terrible audio dropouts. I then watched last nights Jay Leno and the floor to the right of desk had strange pixelation. Everytime the camera angle changed the picture would pixelate for a second. I had noticed the same problem with Chuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.