1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NY Ranger Derek Boogaard dead

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Jimmy 440, May 14, 2011.

1. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
  2. WhoRu

WhoRu Cool Member

Nov 27, 2008
    His name is Derek Boogaard.

3. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Thanks,changed.I was talking & typing at the same time.

4. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Or, better known as The Boogeyman.

Only 28 years old. So sad, he was just a kid.

5. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Just saw the thread, I know at the Excel Energy Center, where the Wild play, there was an impromptu memorial service started there, I believe from the Wild official forums, not sure. But from the sounds from twitter it was pretty big, with a few members of his family showing up.

Not to degrade anyone but was anything done in NY??? I know he only played a year there. And granted, he was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Changed it as soon as I saw post #2.

Condolences to family, friends, and fans.

7. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    That was quick, thanks Tom!!! ;)

8. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Sorry to see Derek pass away..

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  10. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I haven't seen anything done in NY.... but not only did he play 5 seasons in Minnesota, he also came up through their minor league system after being their 7th round pick in 2001. So not surprising that they'd have something in Minnesota so soon after his death, being that he spent most of his professional career playing for the Wild or their affiliates.

Todd McLellan - the current coach of the Sharks - was Boogaards coach in the AHL with the Houston Aeros and had nothing but good things to say about the kid. In fact, for as feared as he was on the ice, he was loved in equal measure off the ice, from what I've heard.

It'll be interesting to see what the official cause of death ends up being. I know he missed much of this season with a concussion, and one has to wonder if that (and earlier head injuries he may have suffered) played any role in his death.