1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obesity Is A Disease

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1 of 114
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A.M.A. Recognizes Obesity as a Disease

READ MORE

2. Jun 18, 2013 #2 of 114
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My bald spot is a disease.

I don't regard alcoholism as a disease, either My father used to get drunk about 360 days a year. My mother used to like calling my father an alcoholic but he wasn't. Basically, he didn't like us and we weren't too wild about him, so he used to go to the Elks nearly every night and his beverage of choice was double shots of whiskey, but if the Elks had ever abandoned the sale of alcohol, he could just as easily have had soda water instead.

I live in a small town where there is a law that no one can be a cop unless they are at least 60 pounds overweight. Well, there might not really be such a law but you couldn't prove it by looking at any of the cops. None of them have a disease, but most of them have too many doughnuts.

3. Jun 19, 2013 #3 of 114
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......Alcoholism, like drug addiction is a self inflicted condition. Calling either a disease is absurd. And in most cases the same can be said for obesity.

4. Jun 19, 2013 #4 of 114
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Or another cause -Spoons Made me Fat !

5. Jun 19, 2013 #5 of 114
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'm sorry. But this is pathetic.

Obesity isn't a disease. Show me a picture of the pathogen. Show me the virus - the bacteria - ANYTHING that causes obesity.

You want to say it's becaues of something genetic? Fine - that's a SYNDROME. Like Downs Syndrome or any of a myriad of other conditions based on chromosones.

When I was young, the excuse was "I'm big boned". I have no excuse for the extra 20 pounds or so on me - there's a *reason* in that I don't exercise enough. But this'll be used as yet another crutch..

6. Jun 19, 2013 #6 of 114
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Everything is contained in this partial sentence:

...and spur more insurers to pay for treatments

7. Jun 19, 2013 #7 of 114
    supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    i'm not fat...................................just a foot short for my weight..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rotfl:

8. Jun 19, 2013 #8 of 114
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And using BMI is definitely an issue. Who wouldn't want to be as overweight as Denzel Washington or Will Smith? Genetics does absolutely play a part, as it does for addiction. But another aspect of it is income. I believe that a lot of people that are overweight or obese have issues financially and go to the cheap prepackaged foods, which are the worst for you. Fresh ruit and vegetables can be cheap (particularly if local and in season), but don't last long, and high quality meats are expensive. Canned vegetables don't have the same nutrition level. And there are actually quite a few fruits and vegetables that don't have as much nutrition as older cousins.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all

1 person likes this.
  9. Jun 19, 2013 #9 of 114
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    BMI is a complete joke. Any reputable exercise physiologist will agree. We tested BMI in our exercise physiology courses, and we had ridiculous results. An elite competitive male cheerleader and a D1 (eventual pro) linebacker were both "obese" according to the BMI.

10. Jun 19, 2013 #10 of 114
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe it was developed by a Belgian mathematician in 1835, so not surprising that it has issues.

11. Jun 19, 2013 #11 of 114
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I personally know of 3 people that it is indeed a disease for them. One of them went into the hospital to get help and help her lose weight. She gained weight in the hospital. By the next year she had the bypass surgery done or else she was going to keep getting bigger and bigger. The surgery solved her problem.
    The other 2 have had the band installed like they advertise all the time. It appears to be working for one of them but not the other.
    There are things that you can not control by yourself and this is sometimes one of them.

12. Jun 19, 2013 #12 of 114
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Example 1 is a heart condition resulting in obesity, not a disease of obesity. The other 2 are people with no control, unless they have something like a thyroid condition, not a disease. Unless weakness is a disease.

13. Jun 19, 2013 #13 of 114
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is all about terminology, I get that. Whether you call it a disease or a syndrome or what, it's a problem. You can point a lot of fingers at a lot of places but of course save one of those fingers for yourself, as you're the one putting stuff in your mouth, right?

1 person likes this.
  14. Jun 19, 2013 #14 of 114
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Driving cars too fast causes health problems, too. Since I dieted off 60-something pounds, I can''t get over how many fat people there are. I really hadn't noticed that before. I feel like going up to them and saying, "Hey! You're fat! What the f@&# is the matter with you?"

My three hundred pound sister likes blaming our late mother and grandmother for her weight.. Back a decade ago, when she was my two hundred pound sister, I bought her a treadmill, which immediately became a $700 coatrack. When I asked her a year later how it was working out for hre, she sent me an e-mail blaming our mother and grandmother for her weight problem. I sent her a low key reply saying that she was 70 pounds overweight for the same reason I was 40 pounds overweight, and if either of us ever wanted to do something about it, all we had to do was eat less and exercise more. I gained maybe another 30 or so pounds over the next few years and then I just decided it was time to do something about it, so I started eating less and gave Gold's Gym $40 a month for two years for a membership that I never once used.

Without exercising, I lost a pound a week for a year and then a pound a month for a year, and have since become hung up at about ten pounds above what the insurance company table says is the weight that portends to the longest life expectancy for a person my height, but that isn't my mother's or grandmother's fault either, nor is it caused by any bacteria, virus or pathogen.

Historically, people my age tend to live for another 20 years, but that average includes those who are overweight, have been diagnosed with diabedes or terminal cancer , have high blood pressure and who have already had heart attacks and strokes. My prospects for a longer than average life are better than theirs, though probably not as good as that of those who exercise. I figure I'll be draining the Social Security and Medicare funds for another 25 or more years.

15. Jun 19, 2013 #15 of 114
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't really think it's a disease. I think it's gluttony. When you reach the period in your life that you can afford anything (within reason) it gets pretty easy to gain weight. When my wife had the Bariatric surgery it wasn't because of how fat she was, it was because of what that extra weight was gonna do to her in the long run. Since she had the surgery, most of the conditions caused by her obvious obesity have been cured and she's off most of the medications for diabetes and heart problems caused by just plain eating too much. And I've got the girl I married back in good condition.

Rich

16. Jun 19, 2013 #16 of 114
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Her bypass surgery was an intestinal removal of 3 feet of her intestines, not a heart bypass.
    This keeps her body from absorbing 100% of everything she eats and a lot of what she drinks.

17. Jun 19, 2013 #17 of 114
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To be fair... on a technical level, you could almost classify a cut as a disease, because it meets the requirements of being something abnormal inhibiting the normal activity... I wouldn't do it, but technically you could.

That said... there are some diseases that can either cause weight gain OR inhibit your ability to curb weight gain... but most people who are too heavy are so by their own lack of control.

I'm not being mean... but too many people don't take responsibility and too many others are enablers.

Oh, and I'm not saying being a little overweight (by "expert" opinions) is even a bad thing... I'm just saying that it isn't the fault of anyone else. I get fat when I eat too much or exercise too little OR both... when I decide I want to lose weight, I cut back on portions and certain kinds of food and step up my exercise. It really is that simple for most people.

For the people who do have something else wrong, or who do need a little help... we should be more focused on that... rather than trying to give everyone else a free pass... grouping lazy or unfocused people who won't take personal responsibility in with people who actually have a real problem does not help anyone.

18. Jun 19, 2013 #18 of 114
    Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I am obese by four pounds according to BMI. I'm 6'2", 244. In my younger years, I hung around 225.

19. Jun 19, 2013 #19 of 114
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know the Canadian armed forces used to use specific gravity rather than BMI. That means immersing a person in a big tank and seeing how much water he/she displaces. I'd think that's still the gold standard, not really sure. Kinda puzzled by Drew's BMI, I'm 6'4" and weigh 249 and my BMI works out to 30.3. According to the calculator my top weight should be 205 pounds. Before I got promoted and started flying a desk, my weight stayed at about 200 pounds. I Googled "BMI" and used the first two calculators that were listed.

Rich

20. Jun 19, 2013 #20 of 114
    Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Under 240 has me highly overweight. I used the AARP BMI calculator.