1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Observation on loss of video/audio hang

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by azarby, Aug 29, 2007.

1. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I had one of the black screen lock ups where I couldn't tune any channels (sattelite audio and video dead), but still had control of the menus. I went to the system test screen and ran a system test and it said that both tuners failed and the LNB also failed. It appears that when this happens , the HR21 completely loses the video stream. It's like the cable is completely disconnected. When this happend, I got out the SEM and pulled the cable from the sat input and connected the meter. Ran the test and the SEM said everythig was ok. Plugged the sat cable back in and still did not have any picture or sound. I did a memu reset and everything was restored to normal.

Bob

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The only thing is, recordings don't play either. Plus, I've been able to go to 499 and get the searching for sat error - not sure how that plays into the equation.

3. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    The one thing that we all have to remember is that there is more than one processing element in these boxes and each performs a dedicated function. It appears that the communiction link betweeen one or more of these processors has stopped transferring data. It is things like this that the internal validatoin team find interesting. It helps point them in the right direction. It is very difficult to locate the source of the problem when someone says it just locked up.

Believe me, I know, as I have experinced this type of thing in my work many times over and very specific types of clues are what they look for. It's not to say that they haven't figured it out for themselves already, but every bit helps. At work, we just completed a very extensive test and validation cycle on a new piece of silicon and a new platform that it fits in. These things are not easy to fix. Next week we start testing the next rev of the Si and on a newer platform . We are looking at at least 5 months of extensive work and we only changed less than 5% of the logic.

So whenever we find something, be as specific as possible with as much detail as you can provide. The DTV team will love you for it and it will help get the next CE out sooner.

Bob

4. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I've been assuming all this time that the video decoder just shuts down, but your observation of the system test failing indicates that it could be more than that. Either way, all we can do is speculate wildly, since the people at DirecTV are the only ones who really know what's going on.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect that any real further testing in contingent on getting a first update, so that we have a more stable platform to see what the HR21 will do.

I'll bet that when we get this first update pushed out to us...we'll have plenty to keep us busy in testing.

6. jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Cant wait!!!!!

7. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Like VOD... Please???